new to cctv couple of questions

jjcool

n3wb
Reaction score

i am interested in buying a couple of outside cameras thinking of buying the DS-2CD2T42WD-I8 http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_accessries_159_i5610.html as heard these are very good cameras for nightvision. and 4mb too.

i think the key to cctv is to stop theft in the first place.

only thing that i dont like about the new DS-2CD2T42WD-I8 are i think this camera has 1 night vison led you can see at night ( might be wrong ) compaired to the older cameras which have the round night vison led rings obviously people can see the led rings lit on them so at night so are a very good deterent.

ive already bought the latest hikvision 4k nvr http://www.netviewcctv.co.uk/8-channel-hikvision-4k-nvr-ip-12mp-recording-80-256mbps-max-12tb-hdd-h265-ds-7608ni-i2-8p.html should i still go with this camera
DS-2CD2T42WD-I8 despite the fact they only have 1 night vision led on at night. i guess they can stll be seen by potental thiefs at night ?

hope someone can advize

Last edited by a moderator:

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The EXIR are still visible, its a larger light then the multiple rings. We have both where I work and I wouldn't say the EXIR is less noticeable.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the surface mount diodes are several orders of magnitude more powerful than the old round through-hole diodes.. and better in every single way, they are still visible and they perform sooo much better.

but cameras dont do jack shit to stop theft, your beliefs are wrong.. lots of captures on here of people looking right into the camera and then continuing on there merry criminal way like it was not even there... your overthinking it, they are NOT active security devices.. they dont protect anything as they wont stop nobody.. espcially when an old bandana can defeat thousands of dollars in surveillance gear. The only way to turn security cameras into active security is to sit down and watch them in realtime, then you can respond..

The opposite could be argued, property with an obviously high level of security is likely to have something more valuable inside than the rest.. like when they are looking for guns they break into vehicles with military/leo identifying marks on em.. so making your place look like fort knox could actually hurt your security and make someone pay extra attention to a property they otherwise wouldn't.

Last edited by a moderator: