New to Dahua, suggestions camera for low light capabilities

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm new to Dahua brand. Still in research mode but I would like to buy one for my home. I'm using reolink. Wish I knew about this forum before buying my reolink cameras :)

I would like a camera for my driveway. Please see below links for what my driveway look like In bw vs color mode at night with no other lights other then street lights.

Bw

Color(day mode)

What camera would be best suited for my needs?

Thanks in advance.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Very best camera if you have some ambient light, does not work with IR lighting: the Color 4k-x bullet or turret. Fixed focal only.
-or- the 5449H-ASE dual lens camera. I don't have a 5449, so can't compare the two.

Second best, any of the 5442 series 4 MP cameras. Most models work with IR lighting. Fixed focal and variocal available.
All the others IMO pale in comparison for low light capability.
Shop the models here: Empire Tech AliExpress store

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Here are two of the 5442's he's mentioning. Also in this shot for comparison are the 3241-ZAS. But i have a LED street lamp out at the intersection giving off decent light.
1665809473830.png

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
May I ask If possible, for a picture of the bullet camera 4k-x when mounted.

Just want to know how big the camera is when mounted to a wall and how much it will protrude.

Don't want to look funny/silly with a big camera sticking out of the garage wall. :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's a capture from a 4K-T, same sensor/resolution as the bullet version. Keep in mind your scene is front lit, the light source is in front of the camera. Any camera will have problems getting an identity shot under those circumstances. This shot is basically back lit by a high pressure sodium streetlight, yellowish light, about 150 feet away behind and to the right of the FOV. The 4K cameras are a little bigger to accommodate the larger sensor. The turret is about a half in bigger in diameter. I don't have the bullet version but would expect it to be the about size of a B5442E-ZE.

4k-t_night.JPG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 4K/X bullet will be bigger than your reolink lol.

You need to define your goals as that will dictate the camera selection. Most will suggest the 5442 series as that has an array of camera selections to fit most situations, but then there are some other cameras that can sometimes fit a better need once that need is known.

Is it to IDENTIFY people on your driveway; do you park cars on the driveway you want coverage for; do you want to IDENTIFY someone out on the street or by the parked car, etc? Each one of those scenarios represents a different camera and install location. And if you want all of those, you are looking at MULTIPLE cameras. One camera, regardless of how great the camera is, cannot be the be all, see all, do all...

From that image It is a good height for an overview fixed camera, but not to IDENTIFY, especially if you have cars parked on the driveway.

Unless you put outside lights on or don't care about the white LED being on for the 4K/X, then you are better off with a camera with infrared capabilities.

As I mentioned to you earlier, you need to select the right camera for the goals of the camera and I responded with this post that helps figure that out, complete with camera recommendations based on distances to IDENTIFY that represent the general common consensus here on camera selections (that all mirror what you are being told here BTW) :

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
It's kind of a big one. About 13" long pointed straight out and about 3.5"x3.5" around at the front.

Tried to take a quick pic but where mine is mounted it's hard to get a sense of scale. You can kind of judge by the several inch overhang of the shingles and gutter from the end of the roofline.

IMG_8025.jpg

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
The 4K-X looks like a white baseball bat. It can have a deter some of the weakest. The 4K-T can be "hidden".
I like them both!

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
I run two 5442 in full color 24/7 just with (bright) ambient street lighting. The cameras using the Dahua PFB mount are unnoticeable under the eaves unless you are focused and looking right at them. I am anxious to try one of the new 4K 1.2 turrets but I know it will be more visible compared to the smaller 5442.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
The 4K turret isn't that much bigger. Paint it to match the house!
Sold :)

Was just looking at this, 2231 vs 5442 vs new 4K Turret;

My 2231 is noticeably bigger than the 5442, but I have it tucked out of the way so it is not an issue. I am scouting for a 4K turret location.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The base of the 4K-T is about a 1/2" bigger than the base of the 5442T-AS if that helps you.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
The base of the 4K-T is about a 1/2" bigger than the base of the 5442T-AS if that helps you.
I have not had a chance to research the 4K-Turret beyond the praise. I assume the LEDs are fully configurable. As I recall, the 5442 LED had limited LED options which was one of its shortfalls.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the 4K-T LEDs are warm white since the camera does not see IR at all. Yes, they are configurable and offer Auto, Manual and Off modes. I have tested the Manual mode and found, with the ambient light I have, that 5% was more than enough light. When left in Auto they are quite bright in the same scene, as in 50%, but that is a result of the amount of ambient light versus what the camera thinks it needs. I found that even if you lower them to 0% in the manual mode they are still on and plainly visible.

Last edited: