New to IP cameras and need some help picking out components

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sure you can get alerts to your phone from an NVR....as long as the server the NVR needs to send it thru is up and running....We have threads here started all the time where someone isn't getting their alerts or they are delayed due to say the Dahua server being down.

There is still a learning curve with an NVR. To get full access to all the features, you need to log in to the NVR via a computer and web browser. At that point might as well go with Blue Iris.

There is a big debate here on which is better. Personally I found the NVRs to be too clunky and not very user friendly and got to the point that I was reactive instead of proactive. I literally tested BI and knew within a few minutes it was better than any NVR I ever had.

Most here using BI came from the NVR experience first and left it because it was so poor.

I have literally had 5 NVRs over a 10 year period, from crappy Swann before I knew better to Dahua. The most one ever lasted was 2.5 years before some component went out that couldn't be changed out (or easily), which necessitated a new NVR. But I found their respective viewing platforms to be clunky, slow, and lacking the ability I wanted to quickly look at things.

My folks still use a Dahua NVR and it is a painful reminder every time they ask me to pull it up to look at something that I am glad I no longer have mine for that purpose.

My BI computer is way more reliable than any of my NVRs ever were. I could run it 24/7 with zero attention, but it is as much a hobby now and squeezing every bit of performance out of it with things simply not possible with an NVR.

Some people are better off with NVRs. But many of those same people would also be content with a Ring system as well LOL.

The biggest misconception is people think NVRs are plug-n-play, which they are not. But many people that is all they do. Then they run auto/default settings. At that point they are better off with a cloud based Ring.

But once someone takes the time to go into each camera and manually change shutter, brightness, etc., then it starts to put the favor towards BI in setting it up.

I can setup a system on BI faster than I can an NVR. The default settings for BI in terms of motion, etc. are better than the default of the NVR.

It would take forever to scrub thru video on my NVR. I can literally scrub my overnight video in under 2 minutes with BI. It takes that long just for the NVR userface to pop up and key in the password with a mouse LOL. And the playback on the NVR was atrocious how long it took.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Don't let the "100's of hours" to learn Blue Iris dissuade you, using information on this forum I had my first cam up in running in a couple hours after posting my initial hiccups on this forum and quickly getting answers. Blue Iris is complex but default settings gives you a superb product for the money.

Assuming you have a PC to run BI you can always download the free trial and take a test drive before committing to a NVR.

Blue42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't let the "100's of hours" to learn Blue Iris dissuade you, using information on this forum I had my first cam up in running in a couple hours after posting my initial hiccups on this forum and quickly getting answers. Blue Iris is complex but default settings gives you a superb product for the money.

Assuming you have a PC to run BI you can always download the free trial and take a test drive before committing to a NVR.
I do have an extra PC I could use but it does get used for other stuff. Do I need a dedicated PC for blue iris? If so the nvr would probably be a better option for me.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do have an extra PC I could use but it does get used for other stuff. Do I need a dedicated PC for blue iris? If so the nvr would probably be a better option for me.
The recommendation is to have it be a dedicated computer. But many here to also do other things with it. If it is just email and light internet surfing, probably ok, but if it is streaming Netflix all the time, that might be an issue.

Keep in mind an NVR is simply a watered down computer and you can find a more than capable computer for cheaper than you can find a capable NVR.

Try it and if it struggles, then go dedicated.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The recommendation is to have it be a dedicated computer. But many here to also do other things with it. If it is just email and light internet surfing, probably ok, but if it is streaming Netflix all the time, that might be an issue.

Keep in mind an NVR is simply a watered down computer and you can find a more than capable computer for cheaper than you can find a capable NVR.

Try it and if it struggles, then go dedicated.
I have a dedicated rig but it sometimes is used for extra duty. Yesterday I was streaming Spotify, copying a 1 GB file external to my BI PC extra hard drive, and of course all my cams recording, and viewing some BI clips, pegged 10GB RAM usage out of 16GB total. Ryzen 2700 is the CPU.

I usually run around 3GB typical for just the cams.

Blue42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a dedicated rig but it sometimes is used for extra duty. Yesterday I was streaming Spotify, copying a 1 GB file external to my BI PC extra hard drive, and of course all my cams recording, and viewing some BI clips, pegged 10GB RAM usage out of 16GB total. Ryzen 2700 is the CPU.

I usually run around 3GB typical for just the cams.
I'll have to look at the specs of the one I have to see if it's even enough

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With Blue Iris, you can make it as simple as needed, or as complex as needed.
If you purchase cams with AI in them, such as the recommended Dahua/Empiretech 5442 cameras, you can simply use the alerts from the camera to BI. Two places in BI enable that for each camera.
Add a camera to Bi, setup the recordings you want, and your done for a basic setup.
Then you can tinker and do other things with BI as you grow comfortable.
The big mistake a LOT of folks make is NOT reading the built-in help file.

An HP Elitedesk Small Form factor computer will do you well, which can be had for $130.00

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If you can afford it, buy yourself a laser estimator with a working distance I'd recommend of at least 20-30m if you don't have one (don't go to short on max measuring distance or it may limit you one day eg if you choose to buy a narow focal length for longer shots).eg.:

..and don't plan mounting a camera higher than 7-7.5 feet.

I've never seen a laser measure recommended on here, but I have one (not specifically for CCTV) and I've found it invaluable for working out CCTV distances.

With a laser estimator (measure) you can stand where you want to identify the suspect and point the laser back to where you want to mount the camera on the wall and get an exact distance of camera to subject. This will then allow you to match this to the focus distance, another important aspect these days as camera focus is becoming more and more shallow for depth of field (ie the distance a subject can be in from the focal point and still be in focus).

Blue42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you can afford it, buy yourself a laser estimator with a working distance I'd recommend of at least 20-30m if you don't have one (don't go to short on max measuring distance or it may limit you one day eg if you choose to buy a narow focal length for longer shots).eg.:

..and don't plan mounting a camera higher than 7-7.5 feet.

I've never seen a laser measure recommended on here, but I have one (not specifically for CCTV) and I've found it invaluable for working out CCTV distances.

With a laser estimator (measure) you can stand where you want to identify the suspect and point the laser back to where you want to mount the camera on the wall and get an exact distance of camera to subject. This will then allow you to match this to the focus distance, another important aspect these days as camera focus is becoming more and more shallow for depth of field (ie the distance a subject can be in from the focal point and still be in focus).
Great idea. I have a laser range finder for archery I can use! The eaves where I'm planning on mounting the cameras are 8 ft. I have stone on the exterior of the house so a wall mount is out of question.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, I get pretty consistent notifications on the Amcrest App, but I find it's too many when its snowing or blowing, or windy with leaves blowing, So i end up turning them off. Someone is home nearly 23 hours a day ( fortunately) to care for the girls 92 year old Mom,,,,)
So i get by without them. and it's still not as intuitive as BI,,,,,,so I dislike it.

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Great idea. I have a laser range finder for archery I can use! The eaves where I'm planning on mounting the cameras are 8 ft. I have stone on the exterior of the house so a wall mount is out of question.
I don't know how accurate that will be vs a laser measure, but it may do the job as you're only to a foot or two really for estiamting focus distances.

Blue42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't know how accurate that will be vs a laser measure, but it may do the job as you're only to a foot or two really for estiamting focus distances.
It got cold and snowed so i didnt get a chance to measure that up yet. Warming up today so Ill check it with the range finder then a tape measure to verify on the shorter runs.

Blue42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got some measurements today.
1- cam to garage service door 10ft
2- cam to mailbox 40 ft or to end of driveway 60 ft
3- cam to front door 10 ft
4- watching over side yard
5- cam to shed 60 to 80 ft
6- cam to middle of patio 15 ft 30 to end. There is a back door that goes to patio but the patio cam should cover the entrance there.
May add one more to overlook the kids play set.
Could you give me suggestions for cameras for this setup. Would like to order when the empire tech andy sales start!

Attachments

Blue42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any help would be appreciated there are alot of options and I'm unsure of what would be best in my situation

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We would recommend based on distance to IDENTIFY in the thread I linked earlier.

1- cam to garage service door 10ft = 5442-3.6mm
2- cam to mailbox 40 ft or to end of driveway 60 ft = 5442-Z4E
3- cam to front door 10 ft - 5442-3.6mm
4- watching over side yard = either 5442 3.6mm for overview or a 180 camera=
5- cam to shed 60 to 80 ft = 5442-Z4E
6- cam to middle of patio 15 ft 30 to end. There is a back door that goes to patio but the patio cam should cover the entrance there. = 5442-ZE

Blue42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We would recommend based on distance to IDENTIFY in the thread I linked earlier.

1- cam to garage service door 10ft = 5442-3.6mm
2- cam to mailbox 40 ft or to end of driveway 60 ft = 5442-Z4E
3- cam to front door 10 ft - 5442-3.6mm
4- watching over side yard = either 5442 3.6mm for overview or a 180 camera=
5- cam to shed 60 to 80 ft = 5442-Z4E
6- cam to middle of patio 15 ft 30 to end. There is a back door that goes to patio but the patio cam should cover the entrance there. = 5442-ZE
Awesome thanks for the reply! I will order them when the sale starts! I will be back with installation questions when they come in I'm sure!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You next need to decide if you will need junction boxes or will shove the pigtails back into the walls or in soffits.

And get cable that is not CCA!