New to IP

tywest

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello from Wisconsin

I'm new to the IP world and am learning a lot here. Currently we have a Samsung 4 camera analog dvr from a big box store. It is not the greatest but served its purpose for a few years.

I am upgrading in a big way. So far this is what I have compiled for my system.

Already up and running:
Intel i5 NUC with 4 gb ram, 64 gb sdhd, 2 TB USB3 drive, running windows 7
Eagle Eye 5 port POE switch
Milestone Go free version
1000 ft of Cat 6 Solid

Today I ordered the RJ45 connectors and equipment to make patch cords.

To be ordered:
I am also thinking about picking up the Hikvision Turret 2CD3332 4mm. Im going to start with 2 cams until I get everything figured out.

I'm kind of nervous regarding setting up the networking part of it all. Configuring ip address and those types of setting...

Last edited by a moderator:

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi tywest,
Greetings from the 'land down under', Australia and welcome to IP Cam Talk!! It's a good community here and a good place to learn more about setting up your system. I've found IP Cam Talk pretty helpful and welcoming, so exchange advice and ask questions.

Once you start getting into the setup with your new cam system I think you will find how great it can be. The advantage it has developed over analogue in recent years is amazing! Everything will work out bit-by-bit as you go. As for the network side of things, I'm happy to assist with getting your addressing all figured out. It becomes pretty clear and makes sense once you start playing around with it.

It looks like you have done some planning, your setup seems pretty solid. The PC will easily handle a decent system, good for anytime in the future that you want to expand beyond two cams... and 2TB of storage over USB3.0 is plenty of space on a fast enough connection to take it.

Great choice on the Cat6 as well!! Some advice I read is very deterring of using Cat6, with the reason that the cameras wont use the bandwidth over 100MB so Cat6 is not justified. Although, in my opinion there are other factors to consider than just data transfer rate. Cat6 is much more robust cable and provides a stronger connection that has higher resistance to interference. It will stand up better to things like EMF and wear from the natural surrounding environment. So use it where you can I say.

In regards to the cameras, I think you have a selected a pretty good option. I Don't own any Hikvision units myself, but after everything I read about them and from the response of other owners, they're on my list for the next system upgrade.

Good luck with with your project ahead !

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm kind of nervous regarding setting up the networking part of it all. Configuring ip address and those types of setting...
Definitely a learning curve, but it's satisfying to get it sorted, and there is lots of help online. Also will force, if you don't already know, a general knowledge in networking which may serve dividends elsewhere in life as well. These multi megapixel cameras are awesome for residential. I couldn't live without mine. Don't know why more people don't get them for their homes!