New to security cameras, new home

rgonyer

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there!

We're currently building a new home and we are thinking about putting security cameras in. The information out there is overwhelming! We want to monitor our front porch, yard, and driveway. We'd also like to monitor our back yard.

We'd like to be able to record either on a DVR or we have a Synology diskstation NAS we could use. Or I may even put a server PC in my equipment rack that could be used as well. Remote access via phone would be good. Since we're in the building phase, I don't need or want them to be WiFi, POE would be great. I'm looking for brand and model suggestions. I think I'd be happy around $150 a camera and we might be looking at 6 or 7 cameras total. If my price is out of line let me know.

I bought a Hikvision DS-2CD2024WD from Amazon to try out since returns are easy, and so far I haven't had much luck with it. Just using the built in webserver page, I can only seem to get a picture using legacy Internet Explorer, and even then the picture only shows up until I move my mouse then it goes black. Not sure what's up there, or if I have a defective camera. I did add the IP to the trusted sites list.

Thanks for any advice, I hope this isn't too general.

Jared

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not sure why it would go out by moving the mouse. Most cameras web interface is terrible and require those stupid activex downloads (which i dont trust and they are buggy) and yes internet explorer is usually the only option (especially for chinese cams). The activex download likely has something to do with why the video goes out. A PC server with blue iris is absolutely the best option. I bet if you add the camera to blue iris it will not go out. Also my understanding is that if you buy a hikvision camera off amazon and ebay, it is not really a hikvision. Its a chinese knock off that will not be supported by hikvision (this is something i have read a few times, i dont know this from experience). Dont get wifi cameras, they are all terrible, they will drive you nuts. I would have cat6 ran all over your house, outdoor direct burial cat6 going up the driveway, etc... There is so many cameras out there now and china replicates all of them 50x times over and sells them for much less. As far as im concerned the chinese cameras i have bought have not been too bad, however like is stated on this forum, you dont ever want to expose any of these cameras to the internet. I just had a bad experience with this and just learned (from this forum) that exposing them to the internet is a no-no. Dont worry you can still view them on your phone or from where ever via blue iris. You can use the cameras web interface but its not ideal, no ones is unless your running 1 or 2 cams, even then its not ideal. What you want to do is download blue iris, they give you a trial version and it only costs 60 bucks, and the phone app is 10 dollars. I can tell you that 60 dollars was the best software money can buy. Blue iris will allow you to use one application for all your cameras. I wish ya luck in your en-devours.

rgonyer

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all that great information. We are currently running Cat 6 everywhere, I've gone through a few 1000ft boxes already. I want everything hardwired. I know wifi is great but why use bandwidth when you're not going to move something around and you have the opportunity to put wires in.

I didn't realize I'd have to watch for counterfeit cameras on Amazon which is where I bought mine. I assume anything bought on Ebay is counterfeit. I will download Blue Iris and give it a try. I appreciate that suggestion. After reading more about it last night, it does sound like the way to go and I have no issue spending $60.

Reaction score
My personal opinion is the best two cameras available right now (and priced quite reasonably) are the Dahua Starlight cameras. The varifocal IPC-HDW5231R-Z is the best, followed closely by the fixed-focus IPC-HDW4231EM-AS. Contact forum member @EMPIRETECANDY to purchase from his AliExpress store. He ships via DHL which gets you the cameras in either 3 or 4 days, together with trustworthy and excellent customer service.

I posted nighttime examples from my 4231 in this thread recently.

Last edited:

rgonyer

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm definitely leaning that way. Unfortunately I didn't start researching until too late, so I'm willing to go with the consensus... which in this case seems to lean heavily in the way of Dahua Starlight. I'm trying to get them at least located, mounted, and wired before drywall (or at least have framing for mounting in). Now I just have to figure out how many and where! By the way Jared, you were right - the Hikvision camera I have worked fine with Blue Iris. I'll still buy the software but the camera is probably going back. I'll buy a few of the Dahua's. The price seems right in line. Thanks VorlonFrog for the source.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use this Camera Calculator / Design Software to help decide where to place them. Keep PPF> 100
You want to know who did it, not just what happened. Keep cameras no higher than 8ft, unless you like looking at tops of heads.
Worry mainly about covering access points, and choke points. Watching the grass grow yields little.

rgonyer

n3wb
Reaction score
Use this Camera Calculator / Design Software to help decide where to place them. Keep PPF> 100
You want to know who did it, not just what happened. Keep cameras no higher than 8ft, unless you like looking at tops of heads.
Worry mainly about covering access points, and choke points. Watching the grass grow yields little.
Awesome, thanks! I will give that software a try. I've emailed @EMPIRETECANDY about a camera but haven't heard back. Is there a better way to buy/purchase from him?