New to the world of LPR ... need some help

jason_2006

n3wb
Reaction score
After few hit and runs in the neighborhood I'm looking to add a camera that can read license plate at day and night. My priority is being able to read license plates as I already have Arlo security cameras and ring doorbell to keep an eye on the house and the porches. I don't really have much experience when it comes to advanced security cameras (as you can probably tell from my reference to Arlo and ring haha), but after browsing online for a bit and jumping around on the forum I've come up with the following list of cameras. I'm reaching out to the community for suggestion to see which one of these would be the best for my need. Any help will be much appreciated ...

1) Hikvision DS-2CD4A25FWD-IZ8 2MP Bullet IP Camera (8-32mm)
2) Hikvision DarkFighter DS-2CD2T45FWD-I5 4MP Outdoor Network Bullet Camera with Night Vision & 2.8mm Lens
3) Hikvision DS-2CD2083G0-I 8MP Outdoor Network Bullet Camera with Night Vision & 2.8mm Lens
4) Hikvision AcuSense PCI-LB15F2S 5MP Outdoor Network Bullet Camera with Night Vision
5) Hikvision DS-2CD2045FWD-I 4MP Outdoor Network Bullet Camera with 2.8mm Lens and Night Vision
6) Hikvision ECI-B14F6 4MP Outdoor Network Bullet Camera with Night Vision & 6mm Lens

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow you do have a lot to learn LOL.

Have you looked at the LPR subforum? I don't think many of those are referenced as cameras people use to read plates.

How far away are the plates from where the camera would be (and recognize most people underestimate distance, so 50 feet ends up actually being 80 feet when you install it)?

In all likelihood all of those camera selections will suck. 2.8mm almost never will result in a good image top capture a plate unless the vehicle is within 10 feet from the camera.

You need to make the plate as large as you can on the field of view and 2.8mm is too wide.

You need optical zoom that is only accomplished with a larger varifocal and a camera that you can manually set the shutter speed.

For plate reading, or any IDENTIFY at distance, focal length is more important than MP.

2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor is an ideal MP/sensor ratio and is more than enough for plate reading.

Most of us go with the 5241-Z12E that @Flintstone61 references.

The reason most opt for the Z12E is because it's optical zoom is incredible (up to 64mm focal length). The goal is to get clean capture of plates without having to digital zoom and guess. If you have a good angle, this camera can get plates up to 190ish feet away.

Keep in mind that LPR is as much an art as it is a science. It is all about optical zoom, not digital, especially at night. And proper shutter speed. The Z12E is the cheapest they come with that much optical zoom for up to almost 200 feet and is around $250.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera:

1642810698566.png

None of the cameras you selected would be able to do this at 175 feet. Not even close.

Make sure you look at the LPR subforum:

LPR
Licence Plate Reader cameras

As well as these threads:

New to LPR? Considerations Before You Begin
Thought I would throw together a post on my experiences so far with LPR in an effort to help others that are considering running down that rabbit hole. There are some practical considerations you should know about LPR. I am approaching this from the position of using Blue Iris and Plate...

LPR Case Study: Scoping, Planning, Proof of Concept, Installation, & Results
Introduction This thread is about my journey into LPR (License Plate Recognition) after having about 18 months of experience with IP cams and having quite a bit of my system finished. I am not an expert on LPR, or IP cameras either. But I have spent a lot of time working with my system and...

Use of Overview and LPR Cams to Document Midnight Vehicle Distributing Offensive Flyers on Lawns
We were out of town and I was checking my cams remotely one morning and noticed one of the Deputies that regularly patrol my subdivision had been at my front door. She has come to me a few times requesting video as she knows I have fairly good coverage of the streets at my corner. I noticed that...

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
takes 2 cams to really get some good data.
we'll get ya dialed in.....LOL.....might take awhile to get you out of Hikvision and 8MP mode...It's like Neo when they unplug him from the Matrix.....
giphy.gif

Last edited:

jason_2006

n3wb
Reaction score
This Dahua plain white wrapper is sold on Amazon, A lot of us have this one and it works well.
Do I need to buy a separate nvr for it or it has an app that can be used? Sorry couldn't find the info on Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jason_2006

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow you do have a lot to learn LOL.

Have you looked at the LPR subforum? I don't think many of those are referenced as cameras people use to read plates.

How far away are the plates from where the camera would be (and recognize most people underestimate distance, so 50 feet ends up actually being 80 feet when you install it)?

In all likelihood all of those camera selections will suck. 2.8mm almost never will result in a good image top capture a plate unless the vehicle is within 10 feet from the camera.

You need to make the plate as large as you can on the field of view and 2.8mm is too wide.

You need optical zoom that is only accomplished with a larger varifocal and a camera that you can manually set the shutter speed.

For plate reading, or any IDENTIFY at distance, focal length is more important than MP.

2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor is an ideal MP/sensor ratio and is more than enough for plate reading.

Most of us go with the 5241-Z12E that @Flintstone61 references.

The reason most opt for the Z12E is because it's optical zoom is incredible (up to 64mm focal length). The goal is to get clean capture of plates without having to digital zoom and guess. If you have a good angle, this camera can get plates up to 190ish feet away.

Keep in mind that LPR is as much an art as it is a science. It is all about optical zoom, not digital, especially at night. And proper shutter speed. The Z12E is the cheapest they come with that much optical zoom for up to almost 200 feet and is around $250.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera:

1642810698566.png

None of the cameras you selected would be able to do this at 175 feet. Not even close.

Make sure you look at the LPR subforum:

LPR
Licence Plate Reader cameras

As well as these threads:

New to LPR? Considerations Before You Begin
Thought I would throw together a post on my experiences so far with LPR in an effort to help others that are considering running down that rabbit hole. There are some practical considerations you should know about LPR. I am approaching this from the position of using Blue Iris and Plate...

LPR Case Study: Scoping, Planning, Proof of Concept, Installation, & Results
Introduction This thread is about my journey into LPR (License Plate Recognition) after having about 18 months of experience with IP cams and having quite a bit of my system finished. I am not an expert on LPR, or IP cameras either. But I have spent a lot of time working with my system and...

Use of Overview and LPR Cams to Document Midnight Vehicle Distributing Offensive Flyers on Lawns
We were out of town and I was checking my cams remotely one morning and noticed one of the Deputies that regularly patrol my subdivision had been at my front door. She has come to me a few times requesting video as she knows I have fairly good coverage of the streets at my corner. I noticed that...
Thank you for the info. Clearly a lot to learn haha. I'm roughly 35-40 feet out from the main street which is where I want to focus the camera to. I'm in a city like setting so the distance isn't my main concern. Concern is more about being able to capture the plates as my Arlo and ring clearly can't do that.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can run the camera as a stand alone with an SD card.

You need the angle and distance. Is that 35-40 feet out at an angle where you can clearly see the back of the plate or is that the straight distance where you see the side of the car?

if it is truly under 40 feet, you could get by with a lesser varifocal distance, but the Z4E with 32mm zoom and the Z12E with 64mm zoom is the same price, so most will go for the larger zoom.

As I said, we think it is 35-40 feet, but in reality it ends up being 80 feet to get the angle and then a smaller camera is no good.

@Flintstone61 can make a 6mm work because it is a parking lot with a lot of light and look at his angle - like right at the camera.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
to initialize a new camera, you will have to get it powered up and surf with a browser to 192.168.1.108 ( dahua default IP) and configure the camera. helps to change the Ip address from 108 to something else and select Static IP, then Save.
once it's shutter speed is set to 1/2000 and your getting night plates, then you can try using an App to view it, or you can also plug it into an NVR, and use their App.

jason_2006

n3wb
Reaction score
You can run the camera as a stand alone with an SD card.

You need the angle and distance. Is that 35-40 feet out at an angle where you can clearly see the back of the plate or is that the straight distance where you see the side of the car?

if it is truly under 40 feet, you could get by with a lesser varifocal distance, but the Z4E with 32mm zoom and the Z12E with 64mm zoom is the same price, so most will go for the larger zoom.

As I said, we think it is 35-40 feet, but in reality it ends up being 80 feet to get the angle and then a smaller camera is no good.

@Flintstone61 can make a 6mm work because it is a parking lot with a lot of light and look at his angle - like right at the camera.
That 35-40 will be at an angle. Roughly 45 deg angle. Sounds like I'm better off with the larger zoom camera. Thank you for taking the time to help out a noob like me.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah none of those hiks you selected would work for that scenario. The one up to 32mm could get close, but like I said if 40 feet ends up being 70 feet because you need to flatten that 45 degree angle, then it wouldn't work.

jason_2006

n3wb
Reaction score
to initialize a new camera, you will have to get it powered up and surf with a browser to 192.168.1.108 ( dahua default IP) and configure the camera. helps to change the Ip address from 108 to something else and select Static IP, then Save.
once it's shutter speed is set to 1/2000 and your getting night plates, then you can try using an App to view it, or you can also plug it into an NVR, and use their App.
Ah. I'm okay as long as I don't have to buy a nvr. Not the most techy person in the world lol and not having to hook things up and connecting to nvr/ monitor makes things easier. Thank you for taking the time to help me out. Much appreciated