New user, hello

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am trying to wrap my head around a company that does not even allow a cell phone in your cube, but that might allow you to install software onto the PC they assign your for the day.
Been in the tech field for 22 years - this sounds like a NOC or DOC role?
But at the companies I have worked with, they are allowed phones, but I realize that security is a company specific concern for sure.

sgt-flippy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am trying to wrap my head around a company that does not even allow a cell phone in your cube, but that might allow you to install software onto the PC they assign your for the day.
Been in the tech field for 22 years - this sounds like a NOC or DOC role?
But at the companies I have worked with, they are allowed phones, but I realize that security is a company specific concern for sure.
I work in a prison. We only recently gained "general internet access". Every floor or position has a pc and I can work at a different position every day. Cell phones are generally not allowed in the whole building (some exceptions for certain people). I generally don't talk about my job a lot, but I guess it's relevant in this case

So I know little about the exact policy. Recently we got allowed internet access, under the idea of "being allowed to follow media". But, for example, Google drive is blocked because it's a cloud service, pushbullet is blocked because it's a messaging service, pushover does the same and works. I do trackdays with my car, and a calendar site I use is blocked, because it thinks it's music because of "track". At the same time local music websites work.

The reason I'm interested in the mobile app, is because I'd just give up on reaching it at work, but I hoped there would then be no need for VPN all together and I can forget about that aspect.

Ps: "the company" is the government, and in my country that means, prepare for a lack of logic

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Always helpful to explain things.

Sounds like however you can get access is simply how it will be obtained.
In the end you may have only a single way to access anyway.
Due to the restrictions placed on you, I would just do what works.

As far as placing software onto any of those pc's you have access to, don't do it without written permission. That is most likely the fast path to getting fired.

sgt-flippy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Always helpful to explain things.

Sounds like however you can get access is simply how it will be obtained.
In the end you may have only a single way to access anyway.
Due to the restrictions placed on you, I would just do what works.

As far as placing software onto any of those pc's you have access to, don't do it without written permission. That is most likely the fast path to getting fired.
That's why I was wondering if there's a VPN way, without adding software (which is highly likely I can't install anyway).
I briefly read about using VPN client router. But I'll only know if I can reach it after I try.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
News to me!
But please report back if you can get a third machine to route to a machine with no cert, that would be cool

sgt-flippy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
News to me!
But please report back if you can get a third machine to route to a machine with no cert, that would be cool
I was hoping something like that would exist But I might have understood it wrong.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As a fellow hacker I never say "not possible".
But given your situation I, again, would not participate in such a solution with any of your work pc's without written permission.

Such an arrangement (if you can even pull it off) without question falls into the bad practice zone. It is the very thing they are afraid of and if you introduce it, I doubt they would take it lightly
Being let go could be the least of your concerns.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As a fellow hacker I never say "not possible".
But given your situation I, again, would not participate in such a solution with any of your work pc's without written permission.

Such an arrangement (if you can even pull it off) without question falls into the bad practice zone. It is the very thing they are afraid of and if you introduce it, I doubt they would take it lightly
Being let go could be the least of your concerns.
Indeed .. work PCs should be closely monitored and maintained ..

I do not see a easy option here ..

VPN app on a cell phone, that you can check only on breaks I guess is the only option ..

Otherwise it starts to get complicated.

This is one reason why having a couple of cloud cameras covering the front of your house in addition to the better IP POE core system can be useful .. some cloud camera providers have a website you can view the videos on ( example I recall Arlo having that )

sgt-flippy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Indeed .. work PCs should be closely monitored and maintained ..

I do not see a easy option here ..

VPN app on a cell phone, that you can check only on breaks I guess is the only option ..

Otherwise it starts to get complicated.

This is one reason why having a couple of cloud cameras covering the front of your house in addition to the better IP POE core system can be useful .. some cloud camera providers have a website you can view the videos on ( example I recall Arlo having that )
Should I be able to put a router behind my isp router, with vpn and have my wifi ap's behind there. Then still enable the wifi, with different ssid, on my isp router for cloud wifi cams? Would it be safer?

sgt-flippy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Finally they're in position. The back yard has the Dahua, the driveway is the Hikvision. Just installing it, they both have their positives and negatives. The Hikvision comes with regular cross head screws, the Dahua with inbus (don't know for sure it's called that in English). But then the junction box from Hikvision came with everything, Dahua didn't have a cable sleeve to screw in the side and make it neat.
Will be changing the back yard's position a bit, zooming all the way in shows me grass, would like to see the back door
Screenshot_20220916-170106.jpgScreenshot_20220916-153836_Hik-Connect.jpg

sgt-flippy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Took me hours to find the Hikvision in Blue Iris. For some reason there was no problem finding it on my phone, but on the PC I couldn't find it. It also kept losing connection in their app.
After hours I checked what devices were connected to my router and... I had 2 devices with the same IP, one of them the tv, the other the Hikvision. Changed the IP and there it was. Few

sgt-flippy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
New obstacle, I installed the TP-link ER605, took me a while, but got my internet working, my wired computer shows up and the powerline adapter where my camera's are also hooked upto, that wifi works.
But I don't see my cameras, it seems all my devices IP-addresses changed from 192.168.1.xxx to 102.168.0.xxx, except the cameras. I tried resetting them, but searching for cameras in the respective apps, hikvision comes up with nothing and Dahua shows the old ip address, but can't connect.
Any insight?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The first thing I'd do is get into the router and set the DHCP range back to 192.168.x.x. The 102.168.x.x is kind of a no-no technically speaking.

If you reset all your cameras you will need to disconnect all but one of them to configure it, then connect the next one, configure it and so on for the rest. You have the option of using the Dahua Config Tool or making the IP address of your PC 192.168.1.x to be able to communicate with them. You can also add 192.168.1.x as a secondary address for the NIC in your Blue Iris machine to make it easier the next time you get a new camera.

sgt-flippy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The first thing I'd do is get into the router and set the DHCP range back to 192.168.x.x. The 102.168.x.x is kind of a no-no technically speaking.

If you reset all your cameras you will need to disconnect all but one of them to configure it, then connect the next one, configure it and so on for the rest. You have the option of using the Dahua Config Tool or making the IP address of your PC 192.168.1.x to be able to communicate with them. You can also add 192.168.1.x as a secondary address for the NIC in your Blue Iris machine to make it easier the next time you get a new camera.
Woops, the 102 was a typo, it's also 192. Only difference is the 0 instead of 1.

I only have 1 hikvision and 1 dahua, can I do them simultaneously?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, they default to different IP addresses. If you're on 192.168.0.x that's fine but it could be simpler to reset the DHCP in the router to 192.168.1.x for simplicity and continuity but it's not really necessary.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just for clarity when you get more cameras LOL.

Dahua default IP is 192.168.1.108

Hikvision default IP is 192.0. 0.64

So when you get more cameras, if you buy more than one, do not plug them in at the same time or you will IP conflict them.

sgt-flippy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, they default to different IP addresses. If you're on 192.168.0.x that's fine but it could be simpler to reset the DHCP in the router to 192.168.1.x for simplicity and continuity but it's not really necessary.
I'm not very much a network guy, the tutorials I read to put another router, behind my ISP router, all say to not use the ISP router's ip range. So I don't think I can do that.

In the mean time, I got the Dahua back, by connecting my pc to the other router, going to the IP of Dahua and change the IP. But it doesn't work for the Hikvision, I can't reach it anywhere. I didn't reset that one, should I do that first and try again?

Edit: There it is! I changed places on the POE switch earlier today, I put it back where it used to be and suddenly I found it. Now just changing the ip and back on track! Only took a full day...

Last edited: