New user help

stribor40

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking outside cameras and trying to learn the ropes. I have old laptop Lenovo that I would like to use instead of nvr or dvr. Laptop runs windows 7 home edition. I have 4Gb ram and 500 gb hard disc.
Would BI run on this and how efficient?

any info direction or reading would be appreciated.

Also so I am not sure what kind of camera I want. I'd like to buy hikvision hd Poe with ability to cover wide area in front of my house.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome! Blue Iris needs some horsepower to run multiple cameras bro. At the office I run 23 1, 2, 3 and 4MP cameras with at i7-3770 processor and the CPU load is approximately 40% (jumps significantly when recording via direct-to-disk). At home I have an old Dell Precision 380 Workstation with an old dual core Pentium D processor which can handle ONE (maybe 2 without recording) 4MP camera...anymore and the machine is on it's knees. So what processor is in that laptop you own?

stribor40

n3wb
Reaction score
I will be running only one camera ( not sure how many MP)
this laptop is 64bits
2 cpu AMD E-300 APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics
disk is WDC WD32 00BPVT-24JJ5T0 Sata Disc Device 300 GB

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Shop for the camera, once you get it, hook to your labtop/network and see how it works. Then download BI trial version and test for two week and check BI status to see how its doing. This should be low risk approach.

stribor40

n3wb
Reaction score
Would you be kind to recomend few Hikvision or any other good cameras? I could give you info what I would like my cam to be able to do?

stribor40

n3wb
Reaction score
Shop for the camera, once you get it, hook to your labtop/network and see how it works. Then download BI trial version and test for two week and check BI status to see how its doing. This should be low risk approach.
What kinf of cam you recommend? Also how do I then match that camera to appropriate nvr if the laptop doesnt work out?