New User, looking for advice

tanthony01

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, recently signed up for IPCT after going down a rabbit hole on the forums while looking for security cameras.

I own a home in NYC and looking to install security cameras. First, for general security (duh). Second, I just purchased a new electric vehicle. I don't have a garage (yay NYC) and plan to install a level 2 charger outside and charge overnight while parked on the sidewalk. I live on a dead-end street and the neighbors are pretty chill, so I don't anticipate any issues with this but I want to be able to see if anyone is messing with the charger or car.

Third, and most immediate - my house is a two family house. My family lives upstairs and we've rented the first floor and basement. Our tenants, another family, recently moved in the middle of September. They've allowed their younger to stay with them while he was getting himself situated. The family is long gone, turned over the keys and moved their stuff out. The younger brother, however, has gotten used to chipping in a few hundred bucks for rent and spending the rest on going out, weed, and grubhub. The realities of the NYC rental market are hitting him in the face now and he's refusing to vacate. We've gone through the legal channels to have him leave, but our hands are tied until December until we can go through the eviction process in housing court. He's also not staying at the apartment - I think he's living with his girlfriend and he appears to stop by once a week for ~5 mins, probably to see if anyone has messed with his stuff. No idea why he doesn't just leave.

Anyway, I'm looking for a setup that will:

1) Give me coverage of the front of the house
2) Give me a clear view of my car while charging. I plan to charge at night when the utility company bills at lower rates.
3) Show me when the problematic tenant is approaching the house, enters, and leaves, preferably with timestamps.

Edit: Problematic tenant usually shows up at night, so low light performance is critical for me.

I'm planning on recording 24/7 until the eviction proceedings have taken place.

There is one entrance at the front of the house, and side entrance in an alley for the first floor. I was thinking of putting cameras near the doors to positively identify people coming and going.

After reading over the forums, I'm leaning towards the EmpireTech 5442 ZE.

Some measurements:
  • 20 ft from front corner of the house to the curb
  • House is ~25 ft across
  • Flanked by two alleys, each ~8 ft wide to the neighboring houses. Side door is in one of these alleys.

There's also a tree right in front of the house, so I was thinking two of the EmpireTech 5442 ZE cameras at the front corners of the house. What should I use to for the near the doors?

I have a backyard but it backs up to the neighbor's and is separated by a fence. Not concerned with that at the moment but will probably expand coverage to there over time. And I should probably get some coverage down the alleyways?

Thanks in advance for any tips and pointers!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, recently signed up for IPCT after going down a rabbit hole on the forums while looking for security cameras.

I own a home in NYC and looking to install security cameras. First, for general security (duh). Second, I just purchased a new electric vehicle. I don't have a garage (yay NYC) and plan to install a level 2 charger outside and charge overnight while parked on the sidewalk. I live on a dead-end street and the neighbors are pretty chill, so I don't anticipate any issues with this but I want to be able to see if anyone is messing with the charger or car.

Third, and most immediate - my house is a two family house. My family lives upstairs and we've rented the first floor and basement. Our tenants, another family, recently moved in the middle of September. They've allowed their younger to stay with them while he was getting himself situated. The family is long gone, turned over the keys and moved their stuff out. The younger brother, however, has gotten used to chipping in a few hundred bucks for rent and spending the rest on going out, weed, and grubhub. The realities of the NYC rental market are hitting him in the face now and he's refusing to vacate. We've gone through the legal channels to have him leave, but our hands are tied until December until we can go through the eviction process in housing court. He's also not staying at the apartment - I think he's living with his girlfriend and he appears to stop by once a week for ~5 mins, probably to see if anyone has messed with his stuff. No idea why he doesn't just leave.

Anyway, I'm looking for a setup that will:

1) Give me coverage of the front of the house
2) Give me a clear view of my car while charging. I plan to charge at night when the utility company bills at lower rates.
3) Show me when the problematic tenant is approaching the house, enters, and leaves, preferably with timestamps.

Edit: Problematic tenant usually shows up at night, so low light performance is critical for me.

I'm planning on recording 24/7 until the eviction proceedings have taken place.

There is one entrance at the front of the house, and side entrance in an alley for the first floor. I was thinking of putting cameras near the doors to positively identify people coming and going.

After reading over the forums, I'm leaning towards the EmpireTech 5442 ZE.

Some measurements:
  • 20 ft from front corner of the house to the curb
  • House is ~25 ft across
  • Flanked by two alleys, each ~8 ft wide to the neighboring houses. Side door is in one of these alleys.

There's also a tree right in front of the house, so I was thinking two of the EmpireTech 5442 ZE cameras at the front corners of the house. What should I use to for the near the doors?

I have a backyard but it backs up to the neighbor's and is separated by a fence. Not concerned with that at the moment but will probably expand coverage to there over time. And I should probably get some coverage down the alleyways?

Thanks in advance for any tips and pointers!
Welcome @tanthony01

Pick up just one varifocal 4Mp 1/1.8" sensor camera and a small poe switch, and start playing with it .. test various possible positions ..

once you start to use it, you'll have a much better idea of what you can do with regards to setting up more cameras.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.