Newb - Looking for PC recommendation

Typilots

n3wb
Reaction score
First Post.

I've read through the cliff notes, wiki, several forum posts and received from EmpireAndy my first camera to learn on IPC-T5442T-ZE. Right now I'm thinking of using 8 cameras, but who knows, it might go a few more.

Looks like my next step is to get BI 5 and load it up on a good PC. HP EliteDesk seems to appeal to me. I'm looking around on Ebay for an HP EliteDesks 800 G2 SFF i7-6700, W10 preloaded, hopefully with a SSD for the OS / BI and then plan to install two (maybe only really need one??) WD Purple drives for video storage.

Q1 - Dedicated EliteDesk PC or my everyday use home personal computer. Specs: Intel i7-7700k 4.2 GHz 16Gb, 500Gb SSD, 480Gb HDD. Just add additional 1 or 2 WD Purple?
Q2 - Is the EliteDesk 800 G2 i7-6700 good for BI 5 or should I look at changing it up some.
Q3 - Is 8Gb of memory good enough for BI5 or is 16Gb needed?
Q4 - I'm pretty sure the EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF can handle 1 SDD, & 2 WD purple HDD. Let me know if that's not right.
Q5 - Is it recommended to use two HDDs for video storage?

Thank you in advance. I'm sure I may need to go back and re-read the cliff notes and wiki some more due to these questions.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Glad you have pre-read the Cliff Notes and WIKI.

Q1- definitely use a dedicated to BI PC.
Q2- the i7-6700 should be fine for 8 cams, especially if you use the sub-stream option.
Q3- More RAM is always better but the 8GB may be just fine. It is more important to see how it is distributed. Is it one stick of 8GB or two of 4GB in Dual Channel mode? The two sticks in Dual Channel mode will be better than the other. Try with 8GB and if you have memory issues, you could always upgrade.
Q4- Sorry can't answer that one, no experience.
Q5- It depends on how much video you want to keep. Personally, I have 21 cams and three WD 10TB Purple drives. That is seven cams per drive. This gives me about 28 days of recordings at 24/7 high bit rate. By intelligently spreading cams over three HDDs, I ensure that even if I have a drive failure, I still get most of my home covered. Just about every view has at least two cams overlapping the view to some extent.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
There was a thread not too long ago where I guy scored an optiplex with a 6 core i-5 8th gen for like $250-300 bucks.....I'm never quite that lucky. I'm running an i7-3770s on 32GB DDR3 with a WD Blue 5.0TB drive on a low budget "1st try" build of a Blue Iris PC.
Started with 8GB of Mem but added more cams, So I jumped to 16, that was better, then jumped to 32 for the hell of it...with 5 cams, wasnt much diff so I went back to 16.
But as I reached Cam 9&10 it was sluggish. So back to 32GB of ram. It's getting a little glitchy and stammery when I open up the other analog 16ch DVR's live feed to view the building i manage. SO i think I'm maxed out. Unless I learn me some new tricks....like display substreams....
i7-6700 would probably be good for this situation, but If I go new B.I. Pc I'm gonna shoot for 8th Gen. intel

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got an i7-6700K with 32GB of dual channel running 13 cameras at the moment. All are running 10FPS at full resolution and fairly high bit rates on the main stream. All are also using hardware acceleration. Sub streams are much lower resolution, but who cares since I've got the full resolutions recording. Nine are 2MP and four are 4MP. Two of the 2MP don't support sub streams so they are "full load" cameras (SV3C AKA Foscam). The CPU normally runs under 10%.

Gotta love being able to use sub streams!

Last edited:

tyler2you

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bsmith76s

n3wb
Reaction score
I just came across on of these EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF 16gb memory 120ssd for $275. The SSD take a different size vibration bolt than the HDD and will need purchased if not equipped with a SSD. the secondary HDD bay screws are supplied in the frame of the case near HDD from factory if someone hasn't removed them.

tyler2you

n3wb
Reaction score
the secondary HDD bay screws are supplied in the frame of the case near HDD from factory if someone hasn't removed them.
Mine came with a 2.5" SSD installed, but no 3.5" drives. There was 1 set of spare screws inside the case for the first 3.5" bay. I had to buy a 2nd set to add another 3.5" drive.

It may have something to do with how the PC came originally configured from the factory.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

I got this. You'll need 3mm mounts screws for ssd.

Can handle 2 3.5 and 1 2.5,but the mobo őnly has 3 sata, so you'll need to remove the one from the cdrom

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.