Newbie checking in... with Sricam and NVR issues

phoe

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I found a comment elsewhere about Sricam cameras very useful ("they're junk cameras") - unfortunately by then I was the owner of one, with exactly the same problem...

I thought I might share my experiences with it, in conjunction with a dirt cheap NVR...

I've got the SP007 (720p) WiFi IP camera, it's got a pretty decent connection to my network via a repeater, and I've put in a memory card as it supports local recording.

The camera itself seems to be inherently unstable with random cases where it stops responding and / or streaming, requiring a hard reset to restore functionally. These seem to happen at least every 3 days (!) meaning you have no security at all until you notice.

I reported this to them and was sent an as yet unissued firmware update that is tweaked to only record in high quality - 14.00.00.76(4622)

This firmware has the same random stream failure issue.

Now to complicate things I bought a dirt cheap NVR (8ch), and the in a 1Tb drive.

I had major issues trying to get it to display the stream although some of that might be the result of never having set any CCTV up before...

A quick word on software now (as used on a Samsung S5) - the stuff the Sricam is supposed to use gives a lovely high res display, but typically crashes within 20 seconds of launching it - sometimes before you can even get to the stream ! It's useless... You can *guarantee* a crash by zooming in to the stream image and trying to plan around.

My NVR used software called NVSIP and it's very stable, but the stream it plays is in crap quality, both on the phone and the display output to the TV, but the NVR records in high res.

As for troubleshooting, when the camera stops streaming to the NVR, rebooting the NVR makes no difference - it still reports "server broken"

The twist is that it doesn't necessarily mean the camera is no longer streaming at all - sometimes their own software will show a stream.

Rebooting the camera will restore full functionality, and the stream will automatically be picked up by the NVR again, without doing anything to the NVR.

I suspect Sricam streams to its own software in something other than ONVIF (otherwise the NVR should be seeing it).

As per the other comment describing it as a junk camera, I'm inclined to agree :-(

The NVR seems pretty stable (I got it from tomtop.com IIRC) although the user interface is a bit on the basic side (think of minimalist ASCII / DOS layouts).

I'm going to make my life even harder soon, as I've got another two WiFi cameras on order... a Wanscam HW0045 (PTZ) and some eye shaped thing from eBay (both are 1080p apparently).

The PTZ in my case is to try to cover a junction opposite our house as there has been a fair bit of theft in the area, and youths have been seen loitering there, trying to hide their faces as you walk past, and the ability to pan to cover all three access routes would be great.

phoe

n3wb
Reaction score
Apologies for typos above, wrote it on a mobile phone :-}

phoe

n3wb
Reaction score
PS: admins - I'd be happy to upload the firmware, install tool for it, and the video to show what buttons to press - all the buttons are in Chinese...

These would add up to 10Mb

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome. You are wasting time and money with the cams you mentioned. Go to the IP Cam section here and start your education on IP cams. :)
Wanscam isn't much better than sricams.
Stick with Dahua and Hikvision.
Good luck!

phoe

n3wb
Reaction score
Just to add a little more to the sorry tale, I also ordered an "unbranded" camera that purported to be a 1080p from flea-bay (ebay) and that arrived today.

Sign in or Register | eBay <- link to camera

As far as I can tell it probably uses the same hardware as a Sricam - the firmware in it is suspiciously close enough to warrant calling it... 14.00.00.75 vs 14.00.00.76, and I can't get it to display in what I'd describe as 1080p, in fact I'm not even convinced it's as high as the 720p Sricam !

The seller says returns are down to the buyer, but I've sent a "pre-paypal dispute" message to them to scope out their response. "Not as described" shouldn't be at the customers cost IMO !

If anyone wants a laugh, this is the NVR I've been trying to get them set up to, and despite some iffy settings menus, it's by far the most stable of any of the kit I've got - it hasn't felt the urge to reboot without me telling it to as far as I can tell, it also comes with desktop PC software that use its' own CMS interface (which offers a nice easy way to force the main stream display output), and you can seemingly view the NVR as though it's through it's native interface by hitting a few more buttons.

Only US$34.99, OWSOO 8CH 1080P H.264 P2P NVR CCTV Security Phone Control - Tomtop.com

I have to say the mobile app for the NVR is seemingly rock solid stable too !

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

phoe

n3wb
Reaction score
PS: the NVR only offers 1280*720 as the max resolution of the new camera too

Eyepee

n3wb
Reaction score
can some show me how to fixed the issue

I updated the firware now it in low resolution

thanks

phoe

n3wb
Reaction score
Which camera are you trying to sort out, and what firmware is currently installed ?

Eyepee

n3wb
Reaction score
Sricam sp012 n sp013

On mobile p2p it 720p

When using blue iris it only 360p

But before i update it was 720 on blue iris

Fireware 210023