Newbie exploring Asecam

chrisq

n3wb
Reaction score
Dear members hello. I am quite new in the camera world and recently I started playing around so as to learn more.

So, I recently purchased an ASECAM 4K camera (yes a typical aliexpress Xiongmai one, called Vatilon H43), urged from very low price and cloudless setup.

My experience so far is awful,
I cannot retrieve any usable RTSP stream and advertised motion/human detection does not work.
I only managed to see the stream in VLC and ODM, but not in other NVR apps such as VMS or QVR (QNAP client) - although camera seems connected.
I also tried both H.264 and H.265 encoding. Nothing changed.
Motion detection randomly worked a couple of times, setting on the light, but then the camera is stuck. One time it was really hot too!

Please note that I set it via the web interface, with absolutely no cloud connection at any point (blocked any WAN access in the firewall from very beginning).
I also tried the app XMeye via LAN/Wifi, but it gives me error 11307.

I found another thread here : Camera newbie - Want's a cloudless setup from the member Bingo600.

Is there any other member with good or bad experience around this camera?

My regards!

Bingo600

n3wb
Reaction score
My Asecam Cams are behaving quite well.
I skipped the useless China NVR, and installed BI (see other thread).

Wo. the China NVR & cloud support, the cam is dumb ... AKA. no human detection, and motion detection is triggering often - Cloud/Sun change etc ...
But as a basic streaming cam i have no issues.

chrisq

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Bingo600.

In the absense of any usable manual from Asecam, I wondered if human detection worked. Seems I got my answer :)

Bingo600

n3wb
Reaction score
I had a few "headscratchers"

1:
Using linux mint i could not get VLC to show the streams.
Turned out to be a possible "Copyright/Licensing issue in the RTSP soucecode".
Debian is allergic to "Non Opensource", so they & Ubuntu simply disabled RTSP in their packages.
Solution : Use the FlatPack VLC , that's build by the VLC team not Debian.
Windows VLC doesn't have this issue.

2:
If the cam was set to H.265, it was running excellent until it switched to "night mode IR"
Then in VLC at least, the stream "stopped" , and became "a frame once in a while".
I contacted the VLC team, they said that code were from ffmpeg ... So i gave up.
I switched the Cam to H.264 (actually recommended as a general usage from several members here), and i haven't had any issues since then.

3:
My Cam OSD time sometimes seemed to "jump" 1 hour.
Turned out that the Cam was getting time via SNTP from my firewall, but BI was also somehow pushing the time to the Cam.
Solution - Make sure that Cam TZ and BI TZ were the same, and make sure both had the same NTP time(server)