Newbie from Nashville

timm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been looking around the forum and need some advice for a few different issues I'm having. I am very new to this so please just bare with me...

There are two systems I have been playing with trying to become more experienced in this area. One system is currently set up at a residence and the other is set up at a small business.

The small business setup has 14 cameras going to a Hikvision NVR. When I remote into the NVR under device type it says: PX-NVR7616

I am trying to figure out how to upgrade the firmware for the NVR or even the cameras if they need to be updated. I have the device serial number as well. See attached photo for current version information.

If anyone could help point me in the right direction or if you need more information please let me know. Sorry for the long post!

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
First and most important thing, don't update the firmware if these are chinese models (they usually have the letters "CH" in the serial number). Most cheap devices are Chinese region that have been hacked to english language, and if you try to update the firmware you'll probably brick the devices, or at least get them stuck in Chinese language again.

Either way, it would be a good idea to contact the seller for new firmware.

timm

n3wb
Reaction score
First and most important thing, don't update the firmware if these are chinese models (they usually have the letters "CH" in the serial number). Most cheap devices are Chinese region that have been hacked to english language, and if you try to update the firmware you'll probably brick the devices, or at least get them stuck in Chinese language again.

Either way, it would be a good idea to contact the seller for new firmware.
Unfortunately, I am unable to contact the seller. The serial number starts the same way as the device type "PX-NVR7616" and there is no CH to be found.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It would be around the middle of the serial number. Also common is "WR" (western region) which is usually safe to update.

I don't bother updating firmware on my Hikvision stuff so I'm not up to date on where to find the firmware.