Newbie here, purchased NVR, but think Blue Iris may be what I need?

katamara

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello, newbie here. I purchased an OEM Hikvision NVR thinking it would be easy to setup and not have worry about reinstalling OS + software if it crashed.
Well, I've had the toughest time trying to get the NVR to record motion detection, as it only wants to be setup on one of my 4 cameras. And frankly, I've given up with this piece of hardware.
I think I may be better off with Blue Iris. I was hoping to get some advice on what type of computer to build or buy.

Some background info:
  • already have Windows 7 license (which can be turned into Windows 10)
  • have 4 cameras so far. 1 wifi, the rest are wired. all are 720. various different brands
  • I expect to have a total of 10 to 12 cameras eventually
  • want to record when motion is detected. I'd like to be able to 'choose' which part of the camera screen is being checked for motion detection, (via a grid?)
  • Want an email alert sent when motion is triggered.
  • want to be able to log in and see cameras remotely, via phone and PC

If it's possible, I'd like to keep the price of the computer hardware (not counting the BI software cost) to under $250.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello, newbie here. I purchased an OEM Hikvision NVR thinking it would be easy to setup and not have worry about reinstalling OS + software if it crashed.
Well, I've had the toughest time trying to get the NVR to record motion detection, as it only wants to be setup on one of my 4 cameras. And frankly, I've given up with this piece of hardware.
I think I may be better off with Blue Iris. I was hoping to get some advice on what type of computer to build or buy.

Some background info:
  • already have Windows 7 license (which can be turned into Windows 10) Tick, But you need to specify what spec of PC your Windows 7 PC is.
  • have 4 cameras so far. 1 wifi, the rest are wired. all are 720. various different brands Tick, Ditch the Wifi one or connect it via wired connection. From within Blueiris you can search for your camera by entering the IP address then selecting search / inspect. Failing that if they are dodgy models you could try using "Generic" as your model type with your IP address / port No.
  • I expect to have a total of 10 to 12 cameras eventually Tick, Depending on your PC specs this can be accomplished.
  • want to record when motion is detected. I'd like to be able to 'choose' which part of the camera screen is being checked for motion detection, (via a grid?) Tick, Blueiris allows you to do what you require, but I'd go for 24/7 recording and notifications of set areas or you may start to ignore false alerts.
  • Want an email alert sent when motion is triggered. Tick, Blueiris can do this
  • want to be able to log in and see cameras remotely, via phone and PC Tick, Blueiris can do this.

If it's possible, I'd like to keep the price of the computer hardware (not counting the BI software cost) to under $250.
Cross, May need to up the costs to $300 - $400 for i5 based PC.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm surprised the NVR is giving you this much trouble. Blue Iris will do all those things, and as cyberwolf has suggested you will want at least an i5. Make sure it is at least a 2nd generation i5 (i5-2xxx), but newer is slightly faster and more efficient and we're up to 7th generation now (i5-7xxx). With the right settings, 4 GB of RAM should be fine.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are only 4 using 720p cams you dont need alot of power..if you want to future proof you can buy a dell optiplex or hp elitedesk i5-6500 for about 300...but all you really need is a 100-150 dollar system
HP Compaq 8300 Elite SFF PC Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.20GHz 8GB (12800U) CD DVD RW | eBay
Personally I like to run get more modern newer systems simply because they will be more reliable in the long haul..and you will have room to grow..
Dell Optiplex 5040 SFF i5-6500 8GB 512GB SSD DVDRW HDMI Win10Pro | eBay
That is a killer deal with huge ssd worth 150 alone...
note that the SFF dell case (unlike, hp) only has room for a single 3.5, you have to move the ssd and use double sided velcro to mount it, or use a m.2 ssd (you can check with the seller, but im guessing there is a standard 2.5 ssd there)..

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

katamara

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the system samples. This helps alot!

I'm surprised the NVR is giving you this much trouble. Blue Iris will do all those things, and as cyberwolf has suggested you will want at least an i5. Make sure it is at least a 2nd generation i5 (i5-2xxx), but newer is slightly faster and more efficient and we're up to 7th generation now (i5-7xxx). With the right settings, 4 GB of RAM should be fine.
I too am very surprised about the NVR. I thought it would have been easier to setup. Maybe a different NVR would be either, but this OEM Hikvision just doesnt work. Cameras work one day, then stop the next, and the motion detection just will not setup at all.