Newbie Needs Hik Camera Suggestions

program2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm very new to the world of IPCams, so apologies if I ask stupid questions.

I have had my car broken in to last year, and there have been some other beak-ins in my sub, so I am ready to invest in some cameras. On top of all that, my son has gotten in to soccer and the back yard is full of high end soccer goals, rebounders and other gear that can easily “walk away.”

Right now I am thinking of installing four cameras total.

• My front porch – 2.8mm camera positioned at the end of a 10’covered porch pointed toward the door on the other end.

• Front of garage – 4 mm camera pointed in to my front yardtoward the neighbors across the street where in the summer parties and fightsare common – and where I think the thieves are coming from

• Back edge of garage – 4 mm camera pointed down driveway

• Back of house: 4mm camera pointed toward shed and all thesoccer gear.
For the first three cams I am thinking about the HIK turretcams with the large EXIR IR emitter (2342WD-I).For the camera behind the house I was thinking of the EXIR bullet cam (2T42WD-I8).

Any reason for me to consider something other than theseEXIR cameras?Where they are installedwill be generally pitch black.

I was considering putting in a motion-detecting flood in theback yard, but was curious it doing that would blind the camera when they kicked on.

I will be running the system on an i7 desktop running BlueIris.

Again, I am probably missing something and appreciate anyhelp and advice from you all who are so knowledgeable.

Thanks!

Attachments

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
As a newbie I made that mistake buying a few of 2142WD-I for outdoors and came out disappointed with night vision, they work best when small area coverage is needed (such as porch) or you have ample amount of light. I wouldn't use one for driveway or backyard though. 2T42WD-I8 will work better though. My suggestion is to first buy one camera and test this out in different spots before committing to entire system. You may find it acceptable. The IR rating is rubbish, look for what sensor they use and if you see 1/3 don't expect too much out of it without enough IR to boost night vision. As far as reliability and firmware this is a fine choice as well as Dahua brand.