Newbie PoE question on Dahua Starlight IP Cam

rcx664

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi I just received two Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras which are supposed to be power-over-ethernet compatible. I've never used PoE before, do I just buy a PoE injector and connect it to the LAN network? Will the power go through my switches? I.e. if each camera has it's own cable going back to a switch, and the injector is connected to only one port on the switch will it power all cameras?

Do I need to adjust the voltage on the injector to suit the cameras or is the voltage standardised on POE?

Thanks!

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Two options. One - Use a 12V power supply independent of PoE. Two, If you don't want to use a 12V power supply, use whatever PoE equipment you want. Just make sure it is 802.3af, or better 802.3at compatible. It doesn't really matter much if you use an injector, A PoE capable network switch, or an NVR as long as it is 802.3a_ compatible. The devices will negotiate all appropriate voltages.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The voltage is standardized. To use injectors the camera plugs into the injector and the injector plugs into the switch. Usually, the injector has a female RJ45 port for the camera, or other device, and a pigtail with an RJ45 male connector to go to the switch. If there's no pigtail a patch cable will be needed and the ports are clearly marked. Each camera will need its own injector, non-PoE switches do not pass PoE power in any way. The voltage is set by the injector and its power supply, no adjustment possible. It is far simpler, and easier, to get a PoE switch. Six and eight port PoE switches are available for under $100. Check Amazon and FleBay. Buying a separate injector for each camera will cost more than a switch once you pass the four camera mark. Trust me, that will happen...video surveillance is addictive.

rcx664

n3wb
Reaction score
The voltage is standardized. To use injectors the camera plugs into the injector and the injector plugs into the switch. Usually, the injector has a female RJ45 port for the camera, or other device, and a pigtail with an RJ45 male connector to go to the switch. If there's no pigtail a patch cable will be needed and the ports are clearly marked. Each camera will need its own injector, non-PoE switches do not pass PoE power in any way. The voltage is set by the injector and its power supply, no adjustment possible. It is far simpler, and easier, to get a PoE switch. Six and eight port PoE switches are available for under $100. Check Amazon and FleBay. Buying a separate injector for each camera will cost more than a switch once you pass the four camera mark. Trust me, that will happen...video surveillance is addictive.
Thanks. Yup, totally believe that it is addictive! I will use adaptors for now while I trial the cameras and start looking for a switch as it will simplify wiring.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Let me put it this way, I started the same way and I just ordered a 24 port PoE switch. Those two injectors will cost between $20 and $40 depending on quality. A decent six or eight port PoE switch will cost $60-$100. You do the math and decide.

GaryFunk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a lot of devices that are 5 and 12 vdc and Ethernet. So I've been removing all the power adapters and going POE.

Instead of buying new switches I went with a Texas Wi-Fi 8 port injector. I place the injector as close to the equipment as possible.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I ran out of power on one of those. Total budget of mine is 60 watts. Eight cameras can total up to 80 watts depending on the specific camera. A switch with a 200 watt, plus budget, is a much better choice, at least for me. Funny part is that it all started out with two cameras for a specific area only, now it's ballooned to nine with at least six more to go. The managed PoE switch will add a level of security as well with a VLAN for the cameras.

Forgot to mention that an eight port injector like that is about $50 anyway, so may as well go with a decent switch.

rcx664

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow best check how many watts my Starlights use. Plan was to start with two Starlights. Then add two regular cameras to cover more area but also so that the cameras are in pairs covering each others backs. Then a cheapo camera to go inside the workshop I'm protecting.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I guesstimate ten watts per camera. I do know a few of mine are around five watts, but better to err on the higher side to avoid taxing/overheating things. If I remember the numbers correctly the 5231s use about seven watts, but I'm not sure if that includes the IR lighting. You may also find yourself adding additional IR illuminators, more PoE power, to fill in dark areas depending on exactly what you're trying to cover and see.

For a cheapie, indoor, camera check out the Annke I61DR-IP that's mentioned in the WiKi. I have one in an open shed, open on both ends, where I keep my yard "toys". It's handling a really bad environment really well, especially for a $50 camera.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I guesstimate ten watts per camera.
If memory serves, 802.3af standard tops out at 7W per port. So if you are guestimating 10W, that is in 802.3at turf which tops out at 15W per port.

Wayne

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
That ten watt figure is my SWAG (standardized wild ass guess) estimate. I know it's, undoubtedly high but I want "headroom" so being on the high side of reality insures that.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Plus the ten comes in from "if one is good, two is better and ten should work best".

nymphaeles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi I just received two Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras which are supposed to be power-over-ethernet compatible. I've never used PoE before, do I just buy a PoE injector and connect it to the LAN network? Will the power go through my switches? I.e. if each camera has it's own cable going back to a switch, and the injector is connected to only one port on the switch will it power all cameras?

Do I need to adjust the voltage on the injector to suit the cameras or is the voltage standardised on POE?

@rcx664
I find it efficient and budget friendly best to buy a PoE switch rather than a port injector. I bought a Netgear 24-port PoE Smart switch on eBay for $99.99 and it does the job well. The switch provides 15.4 Watts per port, while each cam consumes power differently, they never use over 6 Watts. These cameras mostly are the IPC-HDW5231R-Z/ZE, plus a PTZ DH-SD1A203T-GN, and a dual DH-IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M-M12. See this screen shot for more info:
upload_2018-6-25_9-43-13.png

rcx664

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, yup, you're right, I spent the evening searching and found a deal, 8 port PoE switch for £35 ($47) + tax. It's on it's way to me. It will also save me a lot of install time as I don't need to run power cables to the cameras.

dyno

n3wb
Reaction score
I use a POE+ switch with this splitter/extender to run three cams off one Cat5e. It replaced a cheaper one from AliExpress that broke after 5 months. I didn't anticipate multi-cams at that location so just had the one Cat5e - as long as you can stash the splitter/extender somewhere, it can allow for more cams. Just a thought in case your low voltage guys charge alot per run.

Planet POE-E304

Last edited: