Newbie question

Reaction score
So, I’m new to this forum and relatively new to the IT side of CCTV. I’ll make the question as succinct as I possibly can. I’m installing a system for a client of mine and his Router is in a location that makes it nearly impossible to hardwire his NVR . Is there a work-around for this? What have you guys done in this situation? I’m usually able to get an Ethernet cable to the NVRs all the time but this one will be tough if not impossible. Will a range extender with Ethernet ports do the job?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
So, I’m new to this forum and relatively new to the IT side of CCTV. I’ll make the question as succinct as I possibly can. I’m installing a system for a client of mine and his Router is in a location that makes it nearly impossible to hardwire his NVR . Is there a work-around for this? What have you guys done in this situation? I’m usually able to get an Ethernet cable to the NVRs all the time but this one will be tough if not impossible. Will a range extender with Ethernet ports do the job?
Hi Arizona!
In the end, this has nothing to do with an NVR or not. This is what happens when people do not foresee (enough) cablings. But if cables are for sure not an option, then it comes down to:
  • establish a DECENT wireless connection between the router and the NVR. Taking into account that all NVR outbound communications (eg 4 heads watching fullHD stream) will definitly impact your wireless signal. So don't share the channels of the youtubing kids, because that might penalize the (higher priority?) video feeding
  • establish a DECENT powerline connection between the router and the NVR. The good news is: these things aren't expensive either, the bad news is that they are a hit or miss. Try them out, push full bandwidth streams through it from an endpoint on the router to the NVR. If choppy, throw away the powerline adapters, take another brand, or change the electricity circuits, as all these elements might impact powerline performance. And whilst you are pulling new cabling you can also...
  • pull a decent UTP cable all way long to avoid all headaches, strange behaviors (like dropouts, choppy video, ... ) as they WILL happen with the previous two options

Now, on another remark: Imagine you manage to put the NVR down, far away from the router. HOW are you connecting the cams to the NVR? Through local POE ports? That might work (except if 4 heads are watching fullHD streams), If these cams are hauling their (fullHD?) streams through the wifi and/or powerline towards the NVR: forget your plan. It won't work. Period.

So! Start drawing: physical network topology, followed by a logical network topology. Without proper homework, your project is doomed to fail!

Good luck!
CC

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not a networking guy but what I did was use a simple wifi etender at the NVR location (Netgear router and Extender) and fed an 8 port switch. The NVR plugs into that switch. Most cams terminate at the NVR PoE ports, but a few direct to the switch (just because I had the option).

Distance from router to extender is 35-40ft, never a problem, though I dont stream a bunch of cameras full res. I use SmartPSS on a laptop and a desktop and generally have all (14 +6 other remote cams ) running on one or the other in substream mode during awake hours. When i need full stream I choose that specific camera by double clicking it. When done, another simple double click and it scales back down and back to substream.

SmartPSS-View-2.jpg

Reaction score
Nice!! That’s what I’m considering doing: adding a netgear extender and plugging the NVR directly in the extender.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I did that at first, but adding the switch was a handy way to be able to test various cameras and have a little more flexibility (not having to use the NVR 10.1.1.x network and instead having my regular LAN netwrok handy for plugging in a cam real quick) . I'd recommend it.