Newbie Recommedations

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
@Flintstone61 You know I'd have to check. I think they're fanless, I have two of them. If it does have a fa it's so quiet I can't hear it but my ears are shot from too many yeas of target practice without proper ear protection. Incidentally, mine are rack mounted and run warm, not hot, with about a 70 watt load on each of them.

dok0619

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
so looking at the POE switches in the store here..... there are two 8 port switches that look the same except one has the ports double stacked vs the all in one row...does anyone know if there are any other differences? 1635618921769.png

dok0619

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well I just noticed the one that is $10 more does say it has an optional "extend" mode for a long cable run. I just went ahead and ordered that one just in case I decide to run an outside line for a camera in the garden at some point. Also I have one of the Dahua DH-IPC-HFW5449T1-ASE+D2 - Dual Lens cameras on order from Andy that looks like it will deliver this week. Looking forward to experimenting with my first set up.

dok0619

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I ordered one of the new dual lens turret cams from Andy... I'm picking up some Cat6e cables from work. I wanted to set this up on my old desktop with the BI software... what POE switch would you guys recommend to use for this initial setup? I have a small house and dont expect to eventually have more than 4-5 cams....Thanks...also is there a section on here that has a setup guide for the BI software as well?
@dok0619 - Most likely you already bought the PoE switch so this just an FYI for anyone else who finds this thread for the same request. Switches come in different 'flavors' for lack of better word. There are managed and un managed. Specifially speaking for a PoE, some are advanced in additon to being a PoE whereby, they can be used with VLANS (virtual LANS). For those, I would like to suggest ubiquiti PoE switches. If you are looking for a bench PoE to fire up the cam and test it out before you actually mount it, I do all my benchwork using BV Tech 6 port PoE switch. Four of those six ports are PoE. It works reallyy well and currently costs $38 at amazon.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.