Newbie Seeking Advice on Camera Locations / Layout for My Home

marcus417

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 6 Hikvision 4 MP Bullet Cameras. I won't be able to purchase any additional cameras for 4-6 months. My new-to-me home has eaves that I hope to mount the cameras to (unless advised this is a bad idea).

Here's my current plan... I'm having a hard time trying to balance the idea of coverage on doors and as much area as possible with wanting to have one camera cover the other so I can watch if someone tinkers with it. Am I going about this the wrong way? Where would you guys place the cameras?

layout.PNG

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My new-to-me home has eaves that I hope to mount the cameras to
Any chance you could return the bullets for turrets?
You'll be seriously troubled with spider webs, especially if you are going to use any form of motion detection.
And for the coverage question - not really feasible to answer well without knowing what lenses you bought on the cameras, sorry.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mounting height is also relevant.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Can't have great advice on camera placement without an overview of the property. My rule of thumb for outdoors is one per door and one per driveway. Worry less about people screwing with your cams than getting the best placement and coverage of your high traffic areas (entrances, driveways, outbuildings, play areas). Vandal domes are best in high traffic public tamper-prone areas anyway. More specific advice would require aerial photos and possibly pix of the home. Try plugging your cams into ipvm.com/calculator to get a better idea yourself.