Newbie UI3 issue

Toyojay

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all, been lurking for a while. Having an issue I can't figure out. I'm brand new to Blue Iris, just purchased it yesterday and got rid of my previous software (xeoma).

Have it running very well with 4 cameras on a i7 machine in my office, and I have another machine in my living room I wish to use as a viewing station with UI3, but whenever I try to load up UI3 anywhere (on the same machine, on my other one, phone) I get an error message, the exact same message this guy was getting in this thread: UI3 login error

I've read the UI3 page linked in that thread and I've done things exactly the way it was said there, and still the issue prevails. Sorry if this is a dumb question, or if I'm missing something simple/obvious... just learning BI.

Thanks in advance!

-Jay

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What URL are you putting into your browser when you're at home on your LAN? It's a local IP, so it's OK to post here.

It should be in format "http://BI-Server-IP:BI-port/ui3.htm", but sub in your BI server's LAN IP and port, similar to:

Code:
http://192.168.1.222:81/ui3.htm

Toyojay

n3wb
Reaction score
What URL are you putting into your browser when you're at home on your LAN? It's a local IP, so it's OK to post here.

It should be in format "http://BI-Server-IP:BI-port/ui3.htm", but sub in your BI server's LAN IP and port, similar to:

Code:
http://192.168.1.222:81/ui3.htm

Awesome, I guess that format must have been the issue. The local IP was a 192.168.1.14 for my BI server, we had a storm last night and knocked out the power for a bit. When I booted my server back up I saw the IP has changed to a 1.9. With the new IP, and that .htm format it worked perfectly. Thanks. Should I change the server IP to static(?) to prevent it from changing like that again and causing issues in the future?

One other question, after I got UI3 working I noticed in the system info area it listed my HDD as 70-85%. Does this mean that BI has access to write on ~3/4 of my HDD, or that it’s using that percentage of the drives write speed at that time?

Thanks again!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Should I change the server IP to static(?) to prevent it from changing like that again and causing issues in the future?
A definite yes. You could leave it at the .9 but make it static and reserve that IP in your router OR change it to an IP that's outside the router's DHCP pool.

One other question, after I got UI3 working I noticed in the system info area it listed my HDD as 70-85%. Does this mean that BI has access to write on ~3/4 of my HDD, or that it’s using that percentage of the drives write speed at that time?
Could you send a screenshot of that "... it listed my HDD as 70-85%" ?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The disk usage in UI3 is the allocated/used storage, not the write speed.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem originally experienced ('$' is not defined) occurs when the login page is unable to load its supporting script file. 99% of the time when that occurs it is because UI3 did not get installed correctly, which is more common than you would think. Evidence suggests that Blue Iris's code which installs UI3 is quite unreliable. It is currently/recently a focus of some development attention in Blue Iris 5.

Toyojay

n3wb
Reaction score
The problem originally experienced ('$' is not defined) occurs when the login page is unable to load its supporting script file. 99% of the time when that occurs it is because UI3 did not get installed correctly, which is more common than you would think. Evidence suggests that Blue Iris's code which installs UI3 is quite unreliable. It is currently/recently a focus of some development attention in Blue Iris 5.
I was beginning to wonder if it was a possible error on install, but it did start working. I'll be sure to reinstall if it errors again. Thanks

Toyojay

n3wb
Reaction score
A definite yes. You could leave it at the .9 but make it static and reserve that IP in your router OR change it to an IP that's outside the router's DHCP pool.

Could you send a screenshot of that "... it listed my HDD as 70-85%" ?

I can post a screen shot when I get home but its in the lower left hand corner of the screen next to CPU usage, memory...etc.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can post a screen shot when I get home but its in the lower left hand corner of the screen next to CPU usage, memory...etc.
That's OK. It's as @Walrus stated...it's the percentage used of the allocated space.

Example: I allocated 290GB for New, Storage & alerts, I have used 190GB of that, leaving only 10% free, so when I use UI3 I get "90%" I that corner. (Yikes!) :wow:

Toyojay

n3wb
Reaction score
That's OK. It's as @Walrus stated...it's the percentage used of the allocated space.

Example: I allocated 290GB for New, Storage & alerts, I have used 190GB of that, leaving only 10% free, so when I use UI3 I get "90%" I that corner. (Yikes!) :wow:
Ok, that makes sense. I never set an allocation during install that I can remember. I will have to dig around deeper into the settings, do you happen to know of a good place to learn better how to use the software? Checking Youtube, I guess this software is just too new. I believe I have version 5, just downloaded and installed this on Sunday afternoon and all of the tutorial user videos I can find appear to be the older version, which looks totally different. Basic stuff, playback and recording settings for the most part. Having issues tonight on the server going back to yesterday, every time it keeps pulling up everything starting today at 8AM. I'm sure its some setting I haven't selected to record 24/7. I have all my cameras set to "continuous" but I must be missing something simple. Seems this version is a complete overhaul of version 4 from what I've been reading. My old setup with Xeoma, basically just had a progress bar at the bottom I could pick the time I wanted to begin and go from there. When I pick a different day it just blacks out all my cameras and never loads, clicking play just reverts to 8AM today... Possible there is infact something wrong with my install and I should try to reinstall or user error?

Thanks for helping the noob lol.