Newbie with older Dahua NVR

chip_wilko

n3wb
Reaction score
I was given an older Dahua DHI-NVR5416-16P box which has kicked off my IP camera deployment at home.

I'm struggling to Google much info about this box as the model number is so similar to later revisions, but this is just '16P' with nothing extra (not AI/ANZ, EI, 4KS2 etc). Could anyone please point me in the right direction for documentation? Apologies as I've already tried to search in various forums and locations but it's hard to find the right information given the model # similarities.

I'm specifically interested in whether I have the latest firmware for this box and whether it can/should be upgraded. I'm aware that it's far from ideal running something this old, but should I be concerned about anything in particular eg. network security, missing features etc? It's hard to beat free and I'll probably upgrade in the short to medium term, but I'll hold onto it for now (unless there are serious issues with using it?)

Thanks!
2024-06-22_11-43-57.JPG

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was given an older Dahua DHI-NVR5416-16P box which has kicked off my IP camera deployment at home.

I'm struggling to Google much info about this box as the model number is so similar to later revisions, but this is just '16P' with nothing extra (not AI/ANZ, EI, 4KS2 etc). Could anyone please point me in the right direction for documentation? Apologies as I've already tried to search in various forums and locations but it's hard to find the right information given the model # similarities.

I'm specifically interested in whether I have the latest firmware for this box and whether it can/should be upgraded. I'm aware that it's far from ideal running something this old, but should I be concerned about anything in particular eg. network security, missing features etc? It's hard to beat free and I'll probably upgrade in the short to medium term, but I'll hold onto it for now (unless there are serious issues with using it?)

Thanks!
View attachment 198534
Looks good enough .. can it handle "4k" video 8mp ?

Clean the inside of the case from dust ..

Firmware .. may have a limit on what you can update it to.

Checkout Andy's sale .. may be nice to get a camera to connect to it to play around with it.

chip_wilko

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks good enough .. can it handle "4k" video 8mp ?
From what I've gathered it maxes out at 5MP, which I'm okay with for now. It also only supports H264B but not worried about that either for now, it came with a 4TB drive and can support up to 16TBx4 HDDs. For my humble purposes that should be alright.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From what I've gathered it maxes out at 5MP, which I'm okay with for now. It also only supports H264B but not worried about that either for now, it came with a 4TB drive and can support up to 16TBx4 HDDs. For my humble purposes that should be alright.
See if you can pick up one of those varifocal 4mp 1/1.8" ip poe cameras at a deal from andy or see the WTS section.

Would be good enough to get started with this.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Its fine

Why does everyone automatically think they have to update firmware?

Start by getting comfortable with how it works. Worry about FW if there;s a known problem or a specific known feature update (rare) that is desired.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
You might have v3 or v4 firmware (the first number in the firmware version, I think). If it's v4 you're probably fairly close to the latest version that would work on your box. There was v1 and v2 hardware, the newest firmware is only for v2, and I'm assuming your hardware is v1. Maybe there isn't any v4 firmware for the non-4ks2 hardware. I don't know that either way.

chip_wilko

n3wb
Reaction score
Its fine

Why does everyone automatically think they have to update firmware?

Start by getting comfortable with how it works. Worry about FW if there;s a known problem or a specific known feature update (rare) that is desired.
Totally with you there, it's just a very old box and being security conscious I wanted to make sure it was as up to date as could be (I won't be putting it on the Internet either way)

chip_wilko

n3wb
Reaction score
You might have v3 or v4 firmware (the first number in the firmware version, I think). If it's v4 you're probably fairly close to the latest version that would work on your box. There was v1 and v2 hardware, the newest firmware is only for v2, and I'm assuming your hardware is v1. Maybe there isn't any v4 firmware for the non-4ks2 hardware. I don't know that either way.
Looks like the System Version is 2.616.0000.0 and Web is 3.1.0.5, not sure of the difference there. I'm also assuming my hardware is V1 but I really have no idea. The build date is March 2015.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't give it internet access and it doesn't matter.