Next step in master plan?

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
- (comments below pictures on imgur)

I am now up to 3 cameras owned since I started beginning of 2019: Dahua OEM IPC-HDW2231R-ZS, IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, Amcrest IP8M-2496EB (not great but was $60 so I bit). Will add an LPR camera -- IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E. (well, have a couple of wyze cams too).

All of these are shown in the IPVM images + the pictures from my current 2 cams up above the garage. One image shows the 112 FOV amcrest in the front and one in the back. Thinking I will add a camera at front door, maybe a dedicated doorbell cam (ring pro), I need a camera covering each side of the house, and then another one in the back facing the gate to the greenbelt. Also, watching stuff on ebay to get an HP elitedesk 800 SFF (either i5-8500 or i5-6500), and then will get blue iris (right now on synology, which is easy, works well, but is limited by license fees, and can't use advanced functions of the camera).

For lighting, I have day/night auto lights on either side of the garage (100 W each; 3000k); and some lamp posts on either side of the house about 130' in either direction. 20' feet above my front door I have a flood light that comes on with motion at night. Will add IR for LPR. In back have LED flood lights (likely 4000k) that come on with motion.

Would like to get suggestions on placement of next cameras (and the amcrest) and any suggestions on specific cameras for those locations. Pictures have comments, so kind of exec summary. Thanks!

If helpful I can get pictures of the views around the house where the new cameras would go.

Last edited:

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@looney2ns thanks for the response. I have one of each of those right now. And will probably get two more of the 5000 series for the side.

Any suggestions on placement from the pictures I attached? Or maybe I should start a new post with better pictures?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns thanks for the response. I have one of each of those right now. And will probably get two more of the 5000 series for the side.

Any suggestions on placement from the pictures I attached? Or maybe I should start a new post with better pictures?
Hi @iseeker

Look at some of the new reviews out on the starlight+ models..

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

The first picture needs more light for a good ID, IMHO
The second picture needs the time stamp moved to the bottom of the video so as to not block a face like it is yours.
Remember still pictures don't tell the entire story, how does your face look when moving in a video in the same scene?

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The first picture needs more light for a good ID, IMHO
The second picture needs the time stamp moved to the bottom of the video so as to not block a face like it is yours.
Remember still pictures don't tell the entire story, how does your face look when moving in a video in the same scene?
Fixed the time stamp. I'll work on getting some video up. Is there a private way to do this? Don't want my video out on youtube.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You can upload to Youtube but mark it "Unlisted". It wont appear on your YT channel and isnt searchable.. Only people you give the ink to can see it.
Like this one

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Couple of vids. Help me make them better. I've already zoomed the 2231 in further. Not sure if full resolution; exported from synology surveillance station and it didn't give options.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Couple of vids. Help me make them better. I've already zoomed the 2231 in further. Not sure if full resolution; exported from synology surveillance station and it didn't give options.
HI @iseeker

Quick look:

Garage Alison Turret - try a slightly narrower FOV to give you a few more pixels on target.

Garage Dale Turret - if possible I would lower the camera.

Remember to test them with a subject wearing a baseball cap and hoodie to see if you are getting enough angle on the camera.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Garage Alison Turret - try a slightly narrower FOV to give you a few more pixels on target.
-- Did that yesterday and it does look much better. Might need another camera for just an overview of the area (or do without since have 1 on either side of garage and will have the double dome camera at front door and one looking down either alley; plus LPR at 110').

Garage Dale Turret - if possible I would lower the camera.
Yeah. Drilled through eves. You are right; it is too high. Just didn't want to admit since it will take some work to lower. Can be done though since garage behind the brick. Likely place would be below the light (see pic) since above the light is not much difference from where it is now. Was just worried that it would be really accessible to anyone that wants to mess with it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah. Drilled through eves. You are right; it is too high. Just didn't want to admit since it will take some work to lower. Can be done though since garage behind the brick. Likely place would be below the light (see pic) since above the light is not much difference from where it is now. Was just worried that it would be really accessible to anyone that wants to mess with it.
if you want, you can use the camera mounted there on the eve to focus on anyone entering the driveway from the sidewalk and that will give you a better angle and you can reduce the FOV so that at about the sidewalk you have 19.2 feet across, that will be about 100 ppf and give you a potentially good number of pixels for an ID for the 1080P camera.

Then you can add another camera lower by the light to get better angles on those closer to the garage door.

That's probably the plan I would try out.