Night OWl NVR10-882 and third party IP Cams

nin21m

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently upgraded to Night owl NVR10-882. I purchased the item when it was on sale, unfortunately that was back in Dec when it was still cold out, so I only just got around to installing the sys. a few weeks ago. Listen, for plug and play you cant go wrong with this system. 1080p HD cameras, POE, easily viewed over computers, laptop, iPad, and iPhone. With all that being said...

I am hating it right this minute
and surely would of returned it if I had the opportunity. it does not play nicely with third party. So far I've tried two Hikvision cameras and hesitant to purchase anything else, as I don't want to keep buy and returning cams through amazon.

When I plug in IP cams, the indicator lights on the switch wont come on, its like the cameras aren't powering up. There is no documentation I can find to indicate what type of standard of PoE the NVR switch uses.

Night Owl tech support is a joke and that isn't an option either.

My problem: I live in a row home (town house), I have eaves on the front of my property that inhibit placement with the supplied 3.6mm cameras. I require 2.8mm cams and without buying just one of every make of camera, I can't seem to find what to get. Night owl only offers one type of camera for this sys.

I was thinking possibly running a Poe Switch from the NVR with 3rd party cam and seeing what if anything happens there? IDK just brainstorming.

Also one other point, the sys does offer the option for ONVIF, hence the trial of Hikvision cams. The NVR comes with default switch setting for night owl cams, I changed the settings to ONVIF and DHCP w/no luck, just throwing this out there before someone makes the suggestion.

So if someone can point me in the right direction or any suggestions? I'd greatly appreciate it!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
When I plug in IP cams, the indicator lights on the switch wont come on, its like the cameras aren't powering up. There is no documentation I can find to indicate what type of standard of PoE the NVR switch uses.
The specs do not claim any standards-based PoE capabilities for the NVR.
My guess is that the 15v from the 5A power supply is simply sent down the Ethernet cables and split out at the camera end - a proprietary solution.
It looks like if you want to try a 3rd party PoE camera you will need to use a PoE injector to power it.

nin21m

n3wb
Reaction score
The specs do not claim any standards-based PoE capabilities for the NVR.
My guess is that the 15v from the 5A power supply is simply sent down the Ethernet cables and split out at the camera end - a proprietary solution.
It looks like if you want to try a 3rd party PoE camera you will need to use a PoE injector to power it.
As I Was hoping to see if anyone had any luck with Cameras that worked without additional add-ons, Yours was the only reply, and it worked.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.