Night Settings Review

sneakynuts

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have finally got around to fine tuning my 5442TM-AS at night.
I have got static pictures just fine, and even motion seems ok, no blur, and can see myself clearly up close, but its when im at a distance away from the cam that it seems like i'm a ghost!

1614950132725.png
Night Settings.png
I have tried different manual settings and same result (possibly not correct manual settings tho!!)
Is it because i dont have enough IR light to "reach" that far?
Any pointers appreciated

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Several issues:

• You need to get it off of auto shutter. Almost every camera can give a good static image, but we need good motion image. You only looked good with detail because you stopped. Once you moved it was a blur. A door checker will not stop to let you get a good capture
  • This camera is not designed to identify that far out by the street. Depending on which fixed lens you got, it is more like 10 feet out for 2.8mm lens.
  • The gain and NR is too high, coupled with the slower auto shutter is why it ghosted.
  • Do not use backlight - try to get the camera dialed in with every other setting first. That is also contributing to the blur.
  • Once you dial in the settings for the optimal focus distance of this fixed cam, you probably will not catch a lot out by the street.
  • One camera cannot be the do all, see all. If you want coverage out at the street, then you need an additional camera designed to capture IDENTIFY video and images at that distance. That would be a varifocal camera.

1614951073455.png

Take it off auto settings at night unless you like seeing Casper. Auto settings in most situations for shutter will produce a great picture, but motion is complete crap with blurring and ghosting.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual priority and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more and gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting.

Now what you will notice that happens immediately is your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night image results in Casper during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

So if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 30ms as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent), but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images.

Attachments

sneakynuts

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.
The cam is a 3.6mm, and footpath is roughly 5m (16ft)
Getting a clear image at the footpath is not needed. I would prefer an identifiable image from anywhere from the rear door handle mark back to the house - I was more curious as to why the casper appearance was there! I didnt know if it was an IR thing or a settings thing! now i do - Settings!!!! :)
But you have given me plenty to go back and try
As for backlight - Do i just turn this off completely for now, until i get the rest of the settings dialed in??

Thanks again for the feedback

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, turn backlight off and with getting off of auto shutter, that usually eliminates the need for backlight. Sometimes there is not option but to add it back, but we try to not use any of it as it does add noise and artifacts and ghosting if too high.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, the settings @wittaj suggests are the right direction.

The first thing that struck me was the lack of definition and how washed out the image is. Backlight and Brightness likely. Turn it off at night, No Backlight. A little extra contrast, but leave the rest alone. Set IR to Auto

Bullet version, fixed 3.6mm lens 5442T-ASE

4116P_DriveEast_main_20210305204759_@12.jpg

settings2.jpg settings1.jpg