Night Vision adjustments for starlight dahua cams.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
How does it look in video when you're moving about?
Moving around if I try to step frames its a little blurry, even at sharpness 50, I guess that is just how it is with night vision? I think the IR might be a little strong also, or maybe the fact that it's coming from the cam and not an external IR. but if you stop for like a second and look at the camera, you're definitely busted at 60. it's not like you're gonna be like the real flash and be vibrating while you stand there trying to open the car door and stuff lol.

How many feet are you from the camera ? You seem pretty close
camera is about 9 1/2' up on the outside of the roof overhang, zoomed in to about 6mm, middle of the zoom slider. Maybe 12' or so from the cam.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I think things get washed out a little from the IR, and turning it down manually doesn't seem to do much, it's almost like other things compensate and it goes back to looking the same I dunno lol IR from somewhere else would definitely help.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yup, that may be the Auto thing compensating. Also I bet wdr doesn't help clarity. You run 20fps, I think, so I am guessing that means shutter in auto can't get any slower than 1/20. Which should be OK. Might try some manual exposure and see.

Instead of external ir, I am thinking visible led light cause I don't need to be stealth and tired of tripping over shit when I'm not wearing my night vision goggles. Wonder is there a trade off for non-ir light? Less efficient?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Yup, that may be the Auto thing compensating. Also I bet wdr doesn't help clarity. You run 20fps, I think, so I am guessing that means shutter in auto can't get any slower than 1/20. Which should be OK. Might try some manual exposure and see.

Instead of external ir, I am thinking visible led light cause I don't need to be stealth and tired of tripping over shit when I'm not wearing my night vision goggles. Wonder is there a trade off for non-ir light? Less efficient?
I am running 20fps, the cpu savings with 10fps was pretty much nothing even over 4 cameras. Shutter priority lets me go down to 1/25 which looks the same as auto, if I switch to manual 1/25 looks darker, I'm assuming that's because it's not auto adjusting other things? When you start going all manual that is when I get lost on what things to change together lol really need a photography class.

External LED would prolly be awesome, we've got bright ass LED street lights that light up the street and most of my front yard and driveway, you can see shadows from the trees up past the hood of the car.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
manual exposure set to 1/25, anything lower got blurry when I walked around.

1-25 exp.jpg

when I got real close to the camera it fixed a lot of the IR washout..

1-22-(2).jpg

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
read that the optimal is supposed to be as close to double the frame rate as you can get so I tried 1/50.

1-50.jpg

close up.
1-50-(2).jpg

not sure what do you guys think lol. At least I am having fun and learning stuff, hopefully other people are learning stuff too and I'm not just annoying everyone.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So when the shutter speed gets "faster", less light due to less time on the target, the camera needs to add "gain" to compensate and give a pic that still looks as bright. Gain can add noise, but that's usually not too bad and the faster shutter is desirable to "freeze" motion better.
I set to 1/100 and increased the gain to 100 from default 50. Pic still looked as bright and I'd like to believe there was less blur. But haven't extensively tested.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
going to take one of the 5231 turrets I haven't installed yet and use it for external IR to experiment with, heh.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
maybe to much reflection flash from tshirt lol
nice flash tshirt hmy btw!!!!!

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
lol... tomorrow i will install permanently 5th camera turret 5231 ,had to make pole ...and i think SD49225T-HN is on the way...
this forum costing me money and now it will cost me time also,lol..all my buddies who saw cameras on 27 monitor told me how good pic is ,and 2 of my best buddies what me to order and install cameras and nvr for them also ..and i cant even make them yet to see them remotely damm you ip )))))))lol

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lol, these Starlights sell them selves.. just put it up next to anything else and it looks fucking amazing :p

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes you are right nayr before i had some shit analog systems always some interference on monitor black and white image during the day ,problem after problem etc ..it cant even be compared to this starlights ;)

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@hmjgriffon you ever tweak any more settings or get additional IR or LED lighting? Just wondering as I found your thread as I'm looking for optimal settings for faces.