No Audio...

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No Audio…

I started having audio problems on my Tower computer about two weeks ago. I spent several hour tracking down the issue and I was able to resolve the issue by downloading new drives for the monitors. I have two monitor and both are connected via HDMI cables. Running Windows 10.

But now I have no audio from Blue Iris on the console or from RDP (Chrome).

No audio from the live selection. No audio from the recorded clips.

Both monitors have sound in other apps.

I can listen to the audio from the clips on my Android app.

I was running Blue Iris 5.3.84 for several weeks with no issue.

This morning I updated to 5.3.8.17, no change in audio

Today I uninstalled BI, and deleted the Perspective Software in registry.

I downloaded and installed BI 5.3.98, no change in the audio.

I noticed the BI didn’t ask for my reg. number, and the cameras came back on screen without importing my saved config file. So I’m not sure that the old BI software was completely deleted.
I have HWA set to “no”, and I’ve googled like crazy to find the problem

I’ve used the camera find/inspect to see if that helped.

I’m out of ideas, your help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, regarding the above. I can go into the camera software, and the audio plays great. Just no audio in BI.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like a driver conflict. Recommend turning off Windows updates.

Maybe Blue Iris is running as a service now when you updated? It is a known issue that running Blue Iris as a service means that live audio will not work over RDP. Now that doesn't explain your issue with no audio during playback.

Unless you need the most recent version of BI, roll back to a previous version that worked for you. Many of us once we get to a stable version for our system do not update unless a feature we need is added, like many updated when the substream option became available as that brought down CPU usage tremendously.

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you wittaj for your response.

I tried running BI with the service running, and with the service disabled. I can listen to the audio feed for each camera on the BI android app, and I can listen to the camera audio on UI3.

I didn't want to update, and I don't have auto update selected. I was more than happy with 5.3.84j until the audio issue popped up.

What driver conflict would cause BI audio to stop, but only on the console? And other apps can play audio with no problem.

I noticed that the "Play live audio" selection for every camera (Amcrest) is greyed out. But I can log into the camera and play the audio feed from each camera, just not in BI.

I've searched the help file with no luck.

It seems like I'm missing one setting somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The audio greyed out sounds to me like when they came back in that BI is not recognizing the camera as audio. Maybe try deleting one camera in BI and re-add and make sure you enable audio at the time of adding and see if that fixes it.

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No joy! Deleted one camera and reinstalled. Still no audio. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhgggggg.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ugh....I guess try the old reboot computer thing one more time?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you get anywhere on this @Wen?

I'm having a similar issue. BI will just randomly decide no more audio for me, the fix is to reboot until it works again, which is a major PITA

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess along those same lines, make sure UI3 isn't shutting off the volume and it if is on an Android - next time it happens, force stop the browser and clear the cache and lets make sure it isn't a UI3 device issue.

My UI3 turns the volume off all the time after one of the updates. But that was different than the issue I had above where turning off HA fixed it - that was in the console where I would lose audio.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Even the recordings don't have audio, and if I scroll back to a time where the audio was working, the audio will play on those recordings. So it confirms its not a console or UI3 issue

The camera in BI also thinks it has audio, it has the green speaker. Its almost like its pulling a different stream or something, really bizarre. I bet if there was some way to enable verbose logging, I could see exactly what its doing

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Swinging for the fences here, but I have had issues with cams with recent BI updates that redoing the Find/Inspect in the camera setting fixed it, so try that if you haven't.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Is it only one or a couple of the same cams that have/cause the issue? All the same cam model? Or random cams that are doing the same thing?

As another shot in the dark, I also had/have a problem with BI crashing due to audio-related issues when setting up a Wyze V3 cam with the RTSP beta. Not exactly the same as far as working then not and more dramatic as far as crashing goes in that case but similar in effect as far as crashing/working or not due to audio issues and having audio enabled/disabled.

In that case, though it doesn't work for me, there's a registry entry for the cam (number of audio channels) which some have changed to get past that. If on one or more of the same cams, maybe compare the audio settings in the registry for those cams against a cam without the issue.

Last edited:

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Same or similar problem.

camera T5442T.

I do have sound in converted clips from stored.
No sound in BI console, right click menu "play live video" does cycle the green sound icon "off" and "on" as it should.
I can go to that same camera in UI3 and it does have sound.

IIRC If I reinstall the camera using Find/inspect it works the very first time I select the camera but go back to it again a short time later only to find the sound doesn't work again.

I thought perhaps update related but haven't tested the theory yet.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Is it only one or a couple of the same cams that have/cause the issue? All the same cam model? Or random cams that are doing the same thing?

As another shot in the dark, I also had/have a problem with BI crashing due to audio-related issues when setting up a Wyze V3 cam with the RTSP beta. Not exactly the same as far as working then not and more dramatic as far as crashing goes in that case but similar in effect as far as crashing/working or not due to audio issues and having audio enabled/disabled.

In that case, though it doesn't work for me, there's a registry entry for the cam (number of audio channels) which some have changed to get past that. If on one or more of the same cams, maybe compare the audio settings in the registry for those cams against a cam without the issue.
2 Cameras, and the only 2 cameras that have sound. They both lose audio at the same time, they are T5442T-ZE's

I'll see if I can find a third spare that has audio, that would help narrow it down

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Same or similar problem.

camera T5442T.

I do have sound in converted clips from stored.
No sound in BI console, right click menu "play live video" does cycle the green sound icon "off" and "on" as it should.
I can go to that same camera in UI3 and it does have sound.

IIRC If I reinstall the camera using Find/inspect it works the very first time I select the camera but go back to it again a short time later only to find the sound doesn't work again.

I thought perhaps update related but haven't tested the theory yet.
Thats interesting its also a T5442T, same cameras I'm having issues with

It looks like yours works better than mine though, as I wont ever get audio in UI3 when its messed up

For me I'm almost sure its updated related, I was running so good and then I updated to use some Deepstack features and it all went downhill from there

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Then the issue is not likely the console - if there's no sound recorded in the exported MP4, verified by an independent media player (like VLC), then audio isn't being recorded, right?

Mike's comment above made me think of trying to clone an offending camera, make the clone's settings as generic as possible.
Correct, no audio player sees the audio, but there is a silent audio track

Yeah I can clone it and give it a shot, I don't exactly have much going on with the cam config though so I'm not sure what help it will be