No cameras showing in Blue Iris (or when troubleshooting SmartPSS)

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Had recent problem with Comcast internet and since the trial was running out switched to Spectrum. (Advantage of having both cable post in my back yard - haggle for new promo or switch to competitor.) Bringing the system back up everything works except the cameras which reflect "no signal" on Blue Iris screen for each camera and SmartPSS states "Offline, Can not find Network Host". No-IP is working as is reflecting the new WAN from Spectrum as shown in configip as well as the router info screen.

ORIGINAL SETUP
Dedicated PC with Blue Iris on same IP (xxx.xxx.51.1) as router providing internet access. Cameras on second NIC on that PC with different IP (xxx.xxx.1.1) and no internet address. Dahua POE Switch (all lights for each connected port are lit). Asus 1900P (68u) router. Everything worked fine with that setup until now.

TROUBLESHOOTING
Reviewed settings in Blue Iris. Changed one of the cameras IP to the xxx.xxx.51.151 rather than xxx.xxx.1.151 and still wouldn't show. To really simplify things, unplugged the POE Switch cable from the PC NIC and plugged the cable directly into an available port on the router. Not only couldn't Blue Iris and SmartPSS show any of the cameras, nor could the router. I expected at least the one with the .51 IP address. The light on the front of the router does show that port connected, but when looking at the Asus admin menu, 13 clients were connected, none of which were the cameras, even when I changed a second camera's IP to match the LAN. Viewing outside no cameras had lights but I think I had IR off due to attracting moths and false signals.

Any suggestions?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Provide the complete local IP address in your post, what your have provided is nearly useless
The only IP address to not post is the External internet address from Spectrum.

What are the IP address on the BI PC there should be two of them, one for each nic ?
What is the local IP address of the router ?
Is the spectrum device a modem/router or only a modem ? If it is a modem/router is it in bypass, pass-through mode ?

Private ip addresses. Local IP addresses. These addresses are NOT used by the internet. They are for your local home/business network.
10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

Last edited:

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Provide the complete local IP address in your post, what your have provided is nearly useless
The only IP address to not post is the External internet address from Spectrum.

What are the IP address on the BI PC there should be two of them, one for each nic ?
What is the local IP address of the router ?
Is the spectrum device a modem/router or only a modem ? If it is a modem/router is it in bypass, pass-through mode ?

Private ip addresses. Local IP addresses. These addresses are NOT used by the internet. They are for your local home/business network.
10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::78f2:3310:bc36:a5b9%14
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.51.63
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.51.1

The above is copied from ipconfig on the PC. As stated earlier, the ".63" is the PC's address. Camera addresses begin ".151" and higher per camera. I used the "x's" in the original post so the difference, ".51" vs ".1" would stand out. Most cameras when working had a non-internet accessible using a second NIC on the PC using a camera assigned IP 192.168.1.151 and higher. During troubleshooting today, I changed two of the cameras via Blue Iris to 192.168.51.151 and 192.168.51.152 and bypassing the PC NIC, hooking up direct to the router, 192.168.51.1. While the port light was lit indicating it was active, neither 192.168.51.151 or 192.168.51.152 showed as an active client in the router's admin. I wouldn't expect the other cameras still on 192.168.1.xxx to show.

I am beginning to wonder if the POE switch died not getting power to the cameras. While all lights on the connected ports are lit, it is strange that a simplified direct connection to the router port bypassing the PC fails to return at least the two cameras I changed. Of course, if the cameras were not getting power, Blue Iris didn't change it at the camera level - just the software level within Blue Iris- and they would still be on the "1" rather than the "51" ip address. Also, I just ran Config Tool which is what I used to change the same address that Dahau ships on every camera, and it returned "0 devices are found" so it is not seeing any cameras.

Interesting side story...I use to have everything on the 192.168.1.1 and had no problem when obtaining VPN access from overseas. Then last year appears daughter's ISP apparently uses the very common 192.168.1.1 for some of it's functions and suddenly had a conflict when attempting VPN access. Got message back "No problem with Swiss Telecom connection" which was their service provider and overrode any attempt with that service status message when attempting to establish a VPN connection. When returned home changed it to the "51" and updating my VPN client file. The cameras were unaffected with the change so left them with the original "1".

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When you say you changed the camera ip to 192.168.51.151, it sounds like you did that in BI? You realize that won't change the actual camera ip. You need to do that with a browser or the config tool.

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need to change the IP's on the web interface of the cameras directly. Or set them up to use DHCP and set up static IP mapping from the DHCP server (your router?).

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need to change the IP's on the web interface of the cameras directly. Or set them up to use DHCP and set up static IP mapping from the DHCP server (your router?).
I did realize when typing the above that BI only changed in software, and ran the Config Tool last evening, and again this morning. Also, POE switch is still connected directly to the router rather than the second NIC on the PC. Screenprint of Config Tool. I have used it before to change the 192.168.1.108 that Dahau ships every camera with guaranteeing a conflict when installing the second one.

Looked at DCHP to set up static DCHP mapping on the LAN. Before I touched anything, googled and watched a couple videos. The problem is all were changing the 4th set of numbers on the IP address, not the 3rd set nor does it appear can run 2 IP's concurrently with differing 1st, 2nd, or 3rd set on numbers, as it is just establishing a static 4th set to the device like the camera. Looked at the second NIC on the PC and knew I had set it to a static IP ending in 150 as a lead in to cameras starting 151, but was surprised had also set it to .51. at some point so reverted it back to .1. and plugged the cable to the POE switch/camera network in. After reboot, ran Capture tool and still "0 Devices found." Appears my best action may be to temporarily revert the router back to 192.168.1.1, letting it reassign non-static clients and hopefully opening a lane where Capture tool could actually see the cameras to change them to the .51. then change the router back to the .51. based IP. If I can't see them when the router is 192.168.1.1 and it has a direct cable to the POE switch, then it suggests something is wrong with the switch not transmitting power to the cameras.
Screenprint.jpg

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can assign the static mappings once you configure the cameras to use DHCP. By default, they use a static IP configured in the camera itself.

Course of action: disable your secondary NIC. Assign a static IP to your Windows machine (main NIC) to be in the 192.168.1.x subnet (mask 255.255.255.0).
Configure cameras to use DHCP or set them to use the 192.168.51.x IP addresses manually (static configuration).

Btw, if You have Windows 10: no need for Photoshop, use the new Windows+Shift+S shortcut.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can assign the static mappings once you configure the cameras to use DHCP. By default, they use a static IP configured in the camera itself.

Course of action: disable your secondary NIC. Assign a static IP to your Windows machine (main NIC) to be in the 192.168.1.x subnet (mask 255.255.255.0).
Configure cameras to use DHCP or set them to use the 192.168.51.x IP addresses manually (static configuration).

Btw, if You have Windows 10: no need for Photoshop, use the new Windows+Shift+S shortcut.
Don't use DHCP, set a static IP in each camera.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The instructions given above will put the cams on a different subnet than the PC. Do not do this. Guaranteed not to work. Assuming all devices are now on the same network.(NIC)

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The instructions given above will put the cams on a different subnet than the PC. Do not do this. Guaranteed not to work. Assuming all devices are now on the same network.(NIC)
I'm not sure how You misunderstood me.
  • The user wants to have cameras in the 192.168.51.0/24 subnet.
  • Cameras are currently in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet.
  • I instructed the user to manually configure the cameras to one of the two options:
    • use DHCP (router's DHCP service will serve addresses in the 192.168.51.0/24 subnet)
    • manually configure to be in the 192.168.51.0/24 subnet.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So op, look at post 2 here by @SouthernYankee and answer his questions which has not been done.

@Mikk36 read your own post as to your advice to put the pc on a different subnet than the cams and disable the second nic.

I'm out.

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So op, look at post 2 here by @SouthernYankee and answer his questions which has not been done.

@Mikk36 read your own post as to your advice to put the pc on a different subnet than the cams and disable the second nic.

I'm out.
I thought I did...or at least 90% of it...in post 3. Until I re-read it, seems I left out the second PC NIC which was 192.168.51.150 (noted later) as I copy/pasted the relevant part of the of ipconfig for the BI computer. It is a solo modem (Arris TM1602) that Spectrum provided for free and routed direct to my Asus 1900P (Best Buy version of the 68U). Not happy with the low specs of the provided modem but Spectrum, even for DOCSIS 3.0, and may upgrade to a personally owned modem such as Netgear 600, avoiding the Puma chipped 700 and Arris equivalent but far better specs (24x8 vs 16x4 channel) than the provided one, plus I don't have a need for the phone jacks in the TM1602. Spectrum doesn't support and DOCSIS 3.1 modems, including the Arris SB8200 was using with Comcast. Finally, Spectrum tried to give me a combination modem/router which I flat out refused. That is the reason I left them for Comcast plus made the transition OTA for TV. Was suckered into their triple pack which was cheaper than double pack and that router/modem interfered with my Asus and VPN connectivity. After multiple discussions with Spectrum tech support and their insisting was in bridge mode, they wouldn't give me access (password) where I could actually look from my end to confirm in bridge mode and/or make changes. With the VPN issues continuing, I left and magically resolved when switched to Comcast, using my SB8200 modem on day one. It is so nice that I have both companies cable post in my backyard.

A lot of good advice given. Today's plan when wife leaves and I don't cut off her internet with instant whining "internet's down" will switch the modem back over to 192.168.1.1 to access the cameras with direct network access from the modem port rather than the PC NIC. Change the camera IP from .1. to .51., return the modem back to 192.168.51.1. During the tinkering, I did change the PC 2nd NIC from .51. to .1. so will revert it back to the original 192.168.51.150. Hopefully, everything is resolved. Until I see the cameras, haven't totally ruled out an issue with the POE Switch as it was an internet reception problem that started all this change with some really weird issues. After the runaround between Comcast (never stating they had a problem) and Arris, 3 months remaining on warranty, stating Comcast had technical note not published to the public of problem with the SB8200 and working on firmware patch, conveniently starting on the Wednesday that I told them the problem started and they couldn't honor a warranty since 'nothing was wrong' with the SB8200. I switched to Spectrum, particularly when I noted that my Comcast promo expired in Feb and was going to be in groveling mode for some other current promo. The other advantage of having two cable post in the back yard.

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Made the switch...still no cameras. I am guessing power is not getting to the them via the switch. Not showing as an active client on the modem and "Zero devices Found" report on the Config Tool program. 6 clients showing, normally 13 with the other IP setting and modem shows the port with the cable to the POE switch is active.

Wife just got back from her walk so will switch back while obtaining a new POE Switch, but here are the current readings.

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Ethernet adapter Ethernet:
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::78f2:3310:bc36:a5b9%14
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.63
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The second Ethernet is not working.... Media disconnected. Check the cabling and power to the device connected to that Ethernet. Then power down and reboot the bi of.

As stated above NO DHCP on the camera network only static addresses.

Provide a detailed network diagram of your network. Device manufacture, model number, IP address....

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, there was no cable connected to that 2nd internet NIC when that IP config was run as the cable, typically connecting the POE switch and cameras (when they worked) was intentionally routed to the to an empty port on the router to take the NIC out of the picture during the troubleshooting, gaining a direct path to the cameras from the router. When the router was set to 192.168.1.1, it should have picked up those cameras, as yes I only use static addresses with the cameras 192.168.1.151 through 156. That is what makes me think it is a power issue through the POE switch despite all lights on each cable lighting up. The switch was the only thing between the router and cameras during the troubleshoot.

Normal setup when cameras working...
Arris TM1602 Cable modem > Asus 1900P
Asus port 1 > Netgear non-POE switch > PC (not used for cameras) and other peripherals such as 3rd PC hardwired in another room, scanner, printer, etc if not/can't (or dually) set up on wifi
Asus port 2 > Camera dedicated PC 192.168.51.62 shown in the ipconfig, second NIC set to 192.168.51.150 > Dahau POE Switch PFS 3110-8 > Cameras which were/are set to 192.168.1.151 series (and it worked - received on PC and phone app while cameras denied internet)
Asus port 3 > Cat 6 line to living room for TV and second router (old Apple non-time machine router) set up as wifi extender
Asus port 4 > empty, but used for the troubleshooting exercise.
Asus wifi networks (2.8 and 5) work fine, powering phones and Ring doorbell, etc. No problem with password sign-ons, etc.

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
GOOD NEWS...THE CAMERAS ARE BACK UP!

Appears there was a problem with the Dahau POE Switch not transmitting power. Bought a Netgear GS108PE managed port switch. Running in the most basic and had to set the entire network to 192.168.1.1 configuration as couldn't see them in the .51. configuration, but at least I know they are getting power and visible in BI. Now to work on the more advanced benefit of a managed switch, setting up a separate VLAN for the POE ports in the 192.168.1.1xx and a separate one taking the rest of the system back to 192.168.51.1