no cherrie's this year fo me

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just a couple of day's ago my little cherry tree was full of cherrie's i was looking forward to picking a few.. but the blackbirds and starlings beat me to them. oh well they's always next year. i wonder if i'll get any apple's not if the big guy's have they say..

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
We have the same problem every year.
We even bought a net to put over the tree one year, the problem was you have to get the net off
the tree after a bunch of the limbs have grown through the holes. Not worth the effort for us.
We have hung an owl decoy up on a pole in the orchard, it helps some, but when the fruit gets ripe
they could care less. Tying up the dog out there did the best. She loves to chase things away.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I feel your pain brother. It's such a battle to have organic fruit trees and vegetables that you can enjoy vs all the other varmints trying to outsmart you.
Great looking trees you have. Way too big for using bird netting.

I've heard that using a dead crow as a decoy has helped. I'd give it a shot.
Below is a link as an example. Not endorsing this particular model but it did get an A rating on a fakespot scan.
Heck, I may just get one to see if the concept works even though the crows in my yard haven't been a problem, yet.

I've spent so much time and money trying to protect our backyard orchard and raised veggie beds it would be way easier to just buy the produce in the store. But then where's the fun in seeing if you're smarter than a rat, rabbit, squirrel or bird? Some days I have my doubts! Our havahart trap gets a good work out with my "relocation" program.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
This is why I have a S&W M&P15-22 w/sub-sonic ammo and a can. I set up a driveway alert sensor in my garden, and when Peter Rabbit came by, I knew exactly when to go outside. Bet that sucker was a 10lb-er. So satisfying.