No disk space DS-7608NI-E2-8P

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is this still the recommended drive (old version) - LINK

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Is this still the recommended drive (old version) - LINK
I believe I saw some chatter on these boards about WD updating their drives recently. Not sure if the update was good, bad or indifferent; or if it even affected the purple product line. IMHO, I would want to understand the difference between what they refer to as old generation surveillance HDD vs new generation surveillance HDD in the link you shared. Might be a worthy performance gain? Might you to save a some $$?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey all,

I’m back! The drive I purchased back in Aug above failed and I replaced it with another Western Digital Purple WD10PURZ on April 7th. This drive seemed to have gone south now. The WD10PURZ is the new version of the WD10PURX which was installed originally in my older DS-7608NI-E2-8P. Has anyone had problems with the newer WD drive in the older DVRs? Is it time to replace the DVR or try the older WD10PURX?

Thanks

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey all,

I’m back! The drive I purchased back in Aug above failed and I replaced it with another Western Digital Purple WD10PURZ on April 7th. This drive seemed to have gone south now. The WD10PURZ is the new version of the WD10PURX which was installed originally in my older DS-7608NI-E2-8P. Has anyone had problems with the newer WD drive in the older DVRs? Is it time to replace the DVR or try the older WD10PURX?

Thanks
Two WD drives went bad? In less than a years time? Ouch!

Were they both new? Hoping you submitted RMA cases to WD, should be entitled to a warranty replacement.

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Two WD drives went bad? In less than a years time? Ouch!

Were they both new? Hoping you submitted RMA cases to WD, should be entitled to a warranty replacement.
I did not, didn’t realize this was an option. Please share how to do this.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks
Your power to the drive maybe fluctuating,,, Or you have heat issues. Or Ground issues. I have 3 DVR/s running, and 2 Bi machine running. No HDD failures the past 3 years. 3 of them have WD's, the WD40PURX, WD80PURZ (5600 rpm) and a WD8001Purp ( Pro-7200 RPM)
2 of them have been service over a year.
I'd be worreid about burning anymore cash on the DVR/NVR if it's eating drives.

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I plugged the DVR into a different outlet, and it’s been cool lately so I don’t believe heat is an issue. When I plug one of the drives back and power up and it works for a few hours, recording and all then fails again. Strange.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Strange indeed.
Does it run with No hard drive?
like just live view cams?
Maybe try another known good HDD?

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It runs and cams work without being able to recording after the drive failure. I haven’t tried powering up with no drive installed.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Chasing quasi faulty electricity supply is a nightmare. You need real read out voltages from real test meters. Barring that. I'd swap out the whole NVR.
I suppose you have already posted the model #,