No display

Reaction score
Let me apologize up front, as I'm not 100% sure on the DVR, but I believe it is an Hikvision H.2xx. My monitor is plugged directly into the unit via VGA connect. My monitor died so I replaced it with another monitor. Now instead of seeing video from the cameras all I see is the vertical color bar from the monitor. I rebooted the DVR and when it is in the early stages of booting, I see the H.2XX logo displayed. Once the boot is finished I get the color bar. Any thoughts?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Let me apologize up front, as I'm not 100% sure on the DVR, but I believe it is an Hikvision H.2xx. My monitor is plugged directly into the unit via VGA connect. My monitor died so I replaced it with another monitor. Now instead of seeing video from the cameras all I see is the vertical color bar from the monitor. I rebooted the DVR and when it is in the early stages of booting, I see the H.2XX logo displayed. Once the boot is finished I get the color bar. Any thoughts?

Thanks
try changing the resolution on the monitor to the same as your old unit...

Reaction score
you should also be able to access the NVR via web browser and adjust the output res to match your new monitor...
My system isn't on my network yet. I installed it in my unattached garage because it is open framing making it easier to run the cables for the cameras.

Reaction score
Well I went to adjust the resolution and you can't do it from the monitor. It has to be done via the OS. The unit is an h.264. I'll have to bring the unit into the house and hook it onto the network so I can access. Do you happen to know the default resolution?..........Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well I went to adjust the resolution and you can't do it from the monitor. It has to be done via the OS. The unit is an h.264. I'll have to bring the unit into the house and hook it onto the network so I can access. Do you happen to know the default resolution?..........Thanks
Look up monitor specs and don't attempt to set NVR to a resolution setting the monitor is not specified to be able to display.
If the monitor is an older 4:3 (ratio of width to height), try 800x600, 1024x768 or 1280x960.
If it's a newer 16:9 ('widescreen'), try 1024x576 or 1280x720.
Do this with monitor attached to NVR and watch monitor as you change resolution.

I've hooked up a TON of monitors since 1973 and cannot recall getting at least some kind of sync with video 99.9% of the time; it may have been skewed with poor aspect ratio (tall and skinny or short and fat) but intelligible none the less. I don't recall getting nothing but a 'vertical color bar' except possibly on a 'bad' monitor; those were usually just black, or all red, green or blue (most often a bent or bad pin on VGA cable).