No external IP address - help for a newbie!

rextherunt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all

I am in need of some help with the networking aspect of my Hikvision NVR.
Please don’t laugh at my ignorance re networking!

When I tested this model at home, I plugged it into a router, and plugged my Mac laptop into the same router. Everything worked. I connected the HikConnect app and all was well.

Now I am away in a foreign place, and I’m trying again from scratch, and I’m not familiar with how the internet is set up here:
I don’t have a router where I am - I just have a dongle with Ethernet coming in, plugged into the “POE” port, and a “LAN” port where I’ve connected the NVR.
I am without a computer, and I only have two Apple mobile devices.
Do I need physical access to a router to make this work?
If I get a computer with a LAN port, will that work? (My laptop’s HD got corrupted and won’t boot up, so I’m stuck without one for a few days).

Please be patient with me and excuse my ignorance.

7A606C6D-5A98-4E7D-A3B6-61C4B99853A8.jpeg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No you do not need a router to make it work.

But you need to know the IP address of the NVR.

If you do not know the IP address, then your best bet is to factory reset the NVR and start over as that will give it a default address of 192.168. 1.64 and then change the IP subnet of that LAN port to 192.168.1.xxx

If you happen to know what the IP address is of the NVR, then simply assign the LAN port the same IP subnet.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is that white Ubiquiti POE injector connected to with its "POE" port (black cable) ?
What is connected to the "LAN" port (white cable) ?

rextherunt

n3wb
Reaction score

If you do not know the IP address, then your best bet is to factory reset the NVR and start over as that will give it a default address of 192.168. 1.64 and then change the IP subnet of that LAN port to 192.168.1.xxx

If you happen to know what the IP address is of the NVR, then simply assign the LAN port the same IP subnet.
Thanks - I’m afraid I don’t understand where to assign the LAN port?

rextherunt

n3wb
Reaction score
What is that white Ubiquiti POE injector connected to with its "POE" port (black cable) ?
What is connected to the "LAN" port (white cable) ?
The POE port has a black cable with incoming ethernet (being from the main router somewhere).
The LAN port is connected to the NVR.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The POE port has a black cable with incoming ethernet (being from the main router somewhere).
The LAN port is connected to the NVR.
Then you don't need the POE injector functionally but that may connect NVR's LAN to the router.
Just follow @wittaj 's advice.

rextherunt

n3wb
Reaction score
Then you don't need the POE injector functionally but that may connect NVR's LAN to the router.
Just follow @wittaj 's advice.
I still can’t understand that advice…how do I change “the IP address of that LAN port”?
Could somebody show me a screenshot of where to find this in the settings, as I can’t figure it out.
:oops:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are probably screwed then.

You need to get the NVR, router, and the iphone/ipad on the same IP subnet or you are done unless you connect the NVR to a monitor.

Here is how to change the IP address of an iphone, so see if you can access it that way to temporarily change the IP subnet to match the NVR, but based on how you are explaining your setup, it probably won't work.

1. Launch the Setting on your iPhone.
  2. Select WiFi.
  3. Choose the network you’re connected to.
  4. Scroll down to the IPV4 section.
  5. Tap on Configure IP and choose Manual.
  6. Enter the new IP address.

rextherunt

n3wb
Reaction score
You are probably screwed then.

You need to get the NVR, router, and the iphone/ipad on the same IP subnet or you are done unless you connect the NVR to a monitor.

Here is how to change the IP address of an iphone, so see if you can access it that way to temporarily change the IP subnet to match the NVR, but based on how you are explaining your setup, it probably won't work.

1. Launch the Setting on your iPhone.
  2. Select WiFi.
  3. Choose the network you’re connected to.
  4. Scroll down to the IPV4 section.
  5. Tap on Configure IP and choose Manual.
  6. Enter the new IP address.
Thanks, i agree that probably won’t work. I have a monitor. The problem is that certain settings for audio can only be accessed via the web or iVMS4200 software. You cannot change audio from built in mic to line in using the settings on the NVR, as they are limited.

rextherunt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi again,

I would appreciate some more help if anyone can contribute? I have an update to my situation.
I need help with accessing the IP cameras' audio settings to enable LineIn.
I cannot access this dialogue:

hikvision-enable-audio.jpg

I've got hold of a router, so I am able to use ivms-4200 to access the NVR on the same LAN as my Macbook.
I am able to get into the settings of the NVR and I am able to see my two cameras' live view.
I am UNABLE to access the advanced camera settings. I know that I need to adjust my IP settings for the cameras, but I don't know what to make them!

NOTE: I do not need to have internet access at this point - I am OK with setting up on the LAN only.

Here are some screenshots to show my current setup.

LAN settings mac.png
NVR settings.JPG
IVMS view.png

camera IP settings 1.JPG

camera IP settings 2.JPG

rextherunt

n3wb
Reaction score

Hi there,
Could you possibly take a look at my update above and advise? I've tried what you describe and I've failed.
Since taking those screenshots, I've changed the IP address of the NVR and its IPv4 address is now 192.168.254.x, and I've manually create the LAN IP to be the same format. The cameras are also on 192.168.254.x . They show up in the live view, but I can't access their advanced settings on ivms software. I also can't add them as devices - the error is "connecting to device failed. The device is offline or the network failed." However, I can see the camera is live and online!
I'm really confused and struggling and would appreciate some help.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeaaa,

its different NIC.

What you can do is:

Network Settings -> Advanced Network Settings ->Others -> Enable virtual host

Back to Ip camera list, you will see an url to each camera web settings usingNVR virtual host.

OR

Plug yourself to PoE nic with laptop to enter in that NIC

Cheers

rextherunt

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeaaa,

its different NIC.

What you can do is:

Network Settings -> Advanced Network Settings ->Others -> Enable virtual host

Back to Ip camera list, you will see an url to each camera web settings usingNVR virtual host.

OR

Plug yourself to PoE nic with laptop to enter in that NIC

Cheers
Thanks for your input.
I don't have any advanced network settings - either on the NVR software or ivms.
I also don't have a POE NIC, unless you mean the one internal to my Mac? If so, would I plug the camera cable directly into my network port?