No green motion markers after Firmware upgrade

Esso Oil

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi.

I really would appreciate any help with the following problem.

My equipment is genuine Hikvision:
  • DS-7608NI-K2/8P NVR
  • DS-2CD2142FWD-I Dome Cameras

This time yesterday, when playing back footage on the NVR I could see the green motion markers on the playback bar to show where motion was detected.

Anyone who uses Hikvision NVRs and Hikvision cameras will know how useful these green indicators are when reviewing footage.

Today I decided to update the NVR firmware to the latest version (wish I hadn't).

My NVR Firmware was V3.4.105 which was the old interface from a few years ago with the big chunky icons. I upgraded to V4.72.107.

The latest firmware gives me a brand new user interface. I could possibly could get used this, but...

PROBLEM: The green motion indicators have vanished. Completely gone from all previous footage from before the update and not appearing on new footage. Now I just see one continuous blue timeline when I play back footage.

Only yesterday I was reviewing some footage from last week and all the footage had the green motion markers whenever my cameras had detected movement.

Also, I no longer get the real-time dynamic analysis of motion when somebody walks through the red boxes when I'm on the "Motion Detection" screen. Again, I was just using this the other day to check a door way. I walked through the door and all of the little red boxes lit up to show it was detecting motion.

I know the motion detection is still working because the new interface has a little alarm bell in the top right of the screen. When I click on it and look at the "Basic Event" screen the centre column labeled "Alarm/Exception" shows all of the "Motion Detection" events. There is also a useful play button which will play each of the motion detection events. I actually really like this feature, but I also need to see the green motion indicators on the timeline.

QUESTION: Have Hikvision removed these green motion indicators from the NVR playback footage?

I know Hikvision removed the motion indicators from the web interface a few years ago because of some story about bandwidth or processing, but you could still see the green motion indicators when watching footage on the NVR.

I thought the firmware on my cameras might need upgrading so have upgraded both of them to the latest firmware. Old version V5.4.5. New version V5.5.82. Still no green motion indicators on playback timeline.

I have connected to the cameras and on the "Motion" screen the checkbox for "Enable motion detection" is ticked and the checkbox for "Enable dynamic analysis for emotion" is also ticked.

All my settings look exactly as they did before, with the exception of (sorry to say it again) no green motion indicators when I'm viewing footage on my NVR.

As a last resort I am thinking about rolling back the firmware, but I know doing that is not a good idea.

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Does anyone who is reading this have the latest firmware on their NVR (or have a newer NVR) and can see the green motion indicators on their timeline when playing back footage?

I should have known better than to update the firmware on a device that I was completely happy with.

I really would appreciate any help or advice with regards to this.

Esso Oil

n3wb
Reaction score
I have provided two photos that show the features I am missing after upgrading my Firmware.

I have a second NVR which I have not upgraded (exactly the same model).

You can see the timeline is blue for continuous recording, but the Hikvision cameras are putting the little green motion detection markers below the timeline which makes it really easy to look at an hours worth of footage on the screen in one go and instantly see where any motion has occurred.

I have made a few posts over the years about these little green motion indicators as it seems that only genuine Hikvision cameras can actually do this.

I can go back 3 months and look at footage and all of the green markers will be there whenever the cameras detected any movement.

The other photo shows the red boxes on the "Motion Detection" screen lighting up in real time when motion is detected which allows you to fine tune the sensitivity of the camera in real time.

Both of these really useful features have disappeared since I upgraded the firmware on the NVR.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
QUESTION: Have Hikvision removed these green motion indicators from the NVR playback footage?
edit My comments below were made on the assumption you were using the web GUI access to the NVR - but I think I didn't look closely enough at your attached images to see that they were from the VGA/HDMI interface. Which I can't check out as I run the NVRs headless, in out of the way locations ...

Yes and no. This useful feature has been on and off as a web GUI feature for ages, depending on the model and firmware versions. And has only ever worked on Motion, the selection swizzler for Intrusion and Line crossing has never worked, in my experience.

You might find it useful to explore how you get on with the Windows-based iVMS-4200.
It's a pretty chunky app, but it can search and show motion events, and various types of VCA events from an NVR that's doing continuous recording, provided the NVR is configured to record the VCA events to Surveillance System.
It takes a little bit of getting to know, but might be a solution to fill that needed gap.

Example VCA search below, from an NVR with V4.22.00 doing continuous recording.

1695673304570.png

Last edited:

Esso Oil

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.

I have a screen right beside my NVR and do not want to have to start configuring a laptop or PC to do something the NVR used to do for me.

The new user interface does list motion events, but visually this is just not as easy to see / comprehend what has been happening over a certain time period.

Those green event markers are just super useful. A picture paints a thousand words, as the saying goes.

Just strange why the green markers and the red motion detection squares are not working after the firmware upgrade...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As mentioned, that is the gamble played when upgrading for no reason.

Maybe it gets added back in a new update...or maybe it adds it back and takes away something you are using.

Esso Oil

n3wb
Reaction score
Another thread on this site that refers to missing features after a Firmware Update says:

"There are no visible Event makers on the timeline when in "Normal" mode".

This is exactly what happened to me.

My NVR Firmware was V3.4.105 which was the old interface. Im going to look for the latest V3.x.x Firmware (so pre V4) and do a risky Firmware rollback.

Esso Oil

n3wb
Reaction score
Having done more research into this and having posted my question on a few other forums it appears the latest Hikvision NVR firmware has simply done away with these features.

My previous NVR Firmware was V3.4.105 (old style interface). I'm thinking about finding the latest V3.x.x Firmware (so pre V4) and doing a Firmware rollback.

Does anyone have any experience of rolling back to older versions of firmware? I know the manufacturers frown upon this, but in reality people do this all the time. I am willing to risk bricking my NVR to try and get back the features that I want.

Any advice appreciated - thanks.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
3.4.112 is the last in the serie of v3.

BUT be ready to buy new one just in case. It is possible that it might brick and any flashing afterwards wont help.