no idea what camera to get next, any help??

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
need a decent camera, want 4K and have decent night time performance.
DS-2CD2387G2H-LIU look ok
5443's are only 4MP and are good
IPC-HDW5842T-ZE are good as well

is there anything else?? i just dont know what to get.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is use case, distance, and amount of available light?

You have been here long enough that you should recognize chasing MP isn't the answer.

Many here still feel like the 5442 series at 4MP is the still current king and 4MP is the sweet spot.

The 4K cameras on the ideal MP/sensor ratio with 1/1.2" sensors have been shown to be great OVERVIEW cameras or a specific use case of IDENTIFY in the 15-18 foot range. These cameras suffer from a very small focus circle in that 15-18 foot distance and anything shorter or longer than that distance is soft/blurry. OK for overview purposes. But many people get these cameras and then are unsatisfied.

Then except for the PTZs, an 8MP varifocal doesn't exist with the 1/1.2" sensor.

The 5842-ZE is 8MP shoved on the same 1/1.8" sensor as the 4MP 5442, so the 5442 will outperform it at night.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
available light is reasonable, i will post up come pictures tomorrow of what i got now night and day

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Many here still feel like the 5442 series at 4MP is the still current king and 4MP is the sweet spot.

The 4K cameras on the ideal MP/sensor ratio with 1/1.2" sensors have been shown to be great OVERVIEW cameras or a specific use case of IDENTIFY in the 15-18 foot range. These cameras suffer from a very small focus circle in that 15-18 foot distance and anything shorter or longer than that distance is soft/blurry. OK for overview purposes. But many people get these cameras and then are unsatisfied.
I hadn't heard about that blur issue before. Any specifics on precisely which model of the 5442 and pics demonstrating this? Good stuff to know.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hadn't heard about that blur issue before. Any specifics on precisely which model of the 5442 and pics demonstrating this? Good stuff to know.
It isn't the 5442 model that experiences this; it is the 4K/X and 4K/T, but more noticeable on the 4K/T. There is some talk and examples of it in the review thread.

And some people don't see it based on their eyes and or monitor or it isn't a concern to them.

But none of these cameras are infinity focus (although some do better than others) and the larger sensor with the smaller lens helps show that they are not infinity focus.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
anyone wanna add thoughts, what camera to get?

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’d be more concerned with relocating a couple of those cameras or the lights that are whitewashing them.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In my opinion, the 5442 (renamed to 54IR for Empire Andy) is still the best cameras to get for night time. The 4K-T/X suffer from blurry video when close up as noted above.
yes they still have their place here but for every one im not sure.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Again I ask what is the use case? Overview or Identify?

From your pics, you have enough light and decent still photo's. No idea what motion looks like.

And from your pics and where it appears the areas you would want focus at, most of them will suffer with soft focus with the newer 4K cams.

If you want to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, I would wait until there is a big enough advancement. With your light, the 4K/T will gain you brighter images but at the sake of soft focus for anything shorter or longer than 15-18 feet. That gate picture is a great example where a 4K/T will be soft/blurry at that distance.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Again I ask what is the use case? Overview or Identify?
bit of both. some cameras are located for identity some for overview that have other cameras for identity.
there are some motion blur on the cameras at night yes on 5442 but surprisingly little on that last image i put up on the 4k camera after i updated firmware and adjusted settings. i can read the number plate of cars that drive in whilst moving and even driving out with head lights on at night.
i might have to do some testing of them in various locations.