No image improvement, 1080p camera vs 4k

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You also never answered the question as to where you see the stuttering. As others suggest, it's best to post a video sample here.

8trek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The stuttering is noticeable just watching the wind blowing the trees around but always seen as cars drive by (25mph neighborhood) or to a lesser extent when people walk by.

Okay well after trying all the various things mentioned and not seeing any improvement here's what i've discovered....

Something not mentioned i tried was to set the ports on the poe switch to high power, this made things really bad.

Something else not mentioned, I used a spare injector and pluged into a standard switch connected to the router with one of the 4k cameras into it. This appears to have made things better although still not perfect (at least for what i was expecting).

So it now appears my next step is to buy another POE switch, one with 1G speeds on all ports (although everything i've read says it doesn't matter)... could be the poe switch i bought (referenced early) just sucks. Does anyone have recommendations or what they are using for a poe switch? I've never had a "managed" switch before so not sure if that's something worth pursuing.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think a video example would allow you and us to know for sure if what you are seeing is normal/expected or not. I suspect it isn't normal though.

So if you disconnect the internet side from BI and only have one 4K camera going to BI as a test, what does it do? If it is fine, then add cameras back one by one.

Managed switches are more expensive and can be troublesome to set up. Since you have a dual NIC system, that is far easier and better, so just try a different switch.

It is probably mentioned here and I forget - what machine (i number and CPU number), amount of RAM, and typical CPU%

8trek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think a video example would allow you and us to know for sure if what you are seeing is normal/expected or not. I suspect it isn't normal though.

So if you disconnect the internet side from BI and only have one 4K camera going to BI as a test, what does it do? If it is fine, then add cameras back one by one.

Managed switches are more expensive and can be troublesome to set up. Since you have a dual NIC system, that is far easier and better, so just try a different switch.

It is probably mentioned here and I forget - what machine (i number and CPU number), amount of RAM, and typical CPU%
Doing as you suggested did not improve the matter, but yes I did try that.

As of late cpu usage has been been around 30-50% on average. Have been utilizing a combo of ivs and deepstack (cpu version... never could figure out how to get the gpu version up and running but will still like to give it a shot again at some point). I am using nvidia graphics to handle some of the processing although I did try to go back to cpu method but didn't help this siuation. Ram is fine, using about 8 of 16.
Intel Core i7 10700K @ 3.80GHz 106 °F
Comet Lake 14nm Technology

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think you mentioned that you have turned hardware acceleration off?

Are you using substreams? That is a high CPU for a 10th gen.

8trek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After all of this it appears my POE switch sucks. Here's what i got and has solved all stuttering issues:
Could be either the brand made the difference or 1G speeds did despite what I've read about cameras only needing 100M. Also keep in mind the new switch shows it's only using 100G speeds on the cameras... so my guess is it's the brand.

Next problem, my EmpireTech 4K 8MP Ultra Low Light Full-Color AI IP Camera Warm LED Bullet SMD 3.0 IP67 Weatherproof, Built-in Mic and Speaker,ePOE and POE, SMD Plus,Face Detection,Fixed Lens IPC-Color4K-X 2.8mm that i purchased exactly 3 months ago died. Dismounted, plugged in with a short cable but just dead. Messaged Andy about it and waiting response. Can't find warranty info on this camera... any one know what it is and what to expect now?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out.

Oh no - wonder if the prior POE switch was starving the camera of power and blew it?

Andy's cameras are 2 year warranty. He is in Hong Kong so there is the time difference.

While you wait I would suggest unplugging it from power and press and hold in reset button and then provide power while holding in reset button for 30-45 seconds and then see if you can see it and set up like new camera on 192.168.1.108 IP.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
After all of this it appears my POE switch sucks. Here's what i got and has solved all stuttering issues:
Could be either the brand made the difference or 1G speeds did despite what I've read about cameras only needing 100M. Also keep in mind the new switch shows it's only using 100G speeds on the cameras... so my guess is it's the brand.

Next problem, my EmpireTech 4K 8MP Ultra Low Light Full-Color AI IP Camera Warm LED Bullet SMD 3.0 IP67 Weatherproof, Built-in Mic and Speaker,ePOE and POE, SMD Plus,Face Detection,Fixed Lens IPC-Color4K-X 2.8mm that i purchased exactly 3 months ago died. Dismounted, plugged in with a short cable but just dead. Messaged Andy about it and waiting response. Can't find warranty info on this camera... any one know what it is and what to expect now?
A manufacturer who give performance figures, so a thumbs up from me

IMG_9746.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

8trek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out.

Oh no - wonder if the prior POE switch was starving the camera of power and blew it?

Andy's cameras are 2 year warranty. He is in Hong Kong so there is the time difference.

While you wait I would suggest unplugging it from power and press and hold in reset button and then provide power while holding in reset button for 30-45 seconds and then see if you can see it and set up like new camera on 192.168.1.108 IP.
Just to clarify, I put the new switch in weeks ago, the camera died on Friday during a rain storm.

I'm not using any plug in power for the camera, just through the poe switch. Does this method you are describing work in this scenario? Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh OK maybe nearby lightning or water got in. And of course the obvious did you waterproof the connection and use dielectric grease?

Yes the POE switch is providing power so unplug it from that and then start the process.

8trek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh OK maybe nearby lightning or water got in. And of course the obvious did you waterproof the connection and use dielectric grease?

Yes the POE switch is providing power so unplug it from that and then start the process.
I'm using the additional round mount thing also purchased from Andy along with rubber access port to it. Checked for water intrusion and it was dry as a bone as was the sealed connection around the net cables. The entry port is pointing down as well so water can't get in.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good to hear. Hopefully the factory reset trick gets it back.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bummer. That is one bad thing with the full color camera is you don't get the IR click in startup so it makes it tought to figure out if it is actually getting power.

I guess last thing to try is a different port to make sure it isn't a bad port.

And another last thing - try the 12v power supply in the event just the power of the POE plug went out on the camera.