No-IP DDNS with gDMSS and/or Tinycam Pro?

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm attempting to setup NVR remote access via my Nighthawk R7000 using the router's built-in Netgear DDNS (i.e., No-IP DDNS) and VPN Service setup tabs of my router's configuration settings. In the DDNS tab I'm limited to Netgear DDNS and No-IP DDNS, the former being No-IP DDNS as well from what I read just without re-registering monthly.

When I go into the settings in gDMSS, I can only choose Dahua DDNS or Quick DDNS, no option for No-IP DDNS. Is there a workaround for this?

In TinyCam, I don't even see any options for DDNS settings, only port forwarding, static IP. Is it not possible to use TinyCam with DDNS?

Hoping to not have to pay for a static IP address here. Can DDNS be setup on the NVR while VPN is setup on the router? An R7000 VPN Setup youtube video I found said to have either static IP or DDNS setup prior to setting up VPN, and I assumed that would have to be setup on the router itself. But I only plan to access the NVR remotely, no other devices on my network, if that makes any difference in whether or not I can setup DDNS on NVR and VPN on router.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it the same setup for having DDNS and VPN on your router as in this video?

I would set your NVR to a static IP (turn off DHCP) and input that into your remote viewing app. The apps wouldn't use DDNS at it is for your WAN, not your LAN. Once you connect through VPN it's a direct line of communication to your LAN so that is why you want your IP address of your NVR on your LAN.

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is it the same setup for having DDNS and VPN on your router as in this video?

I would set your NVR to a static IP (turn off DHCP) and input that into your remote viewing app. The apps wouldn't use DDNS at it is for your WAN, not your LAN. Once you connect through VPN it's a direct line of communication to your LAN so that is why you want your IP address of your NVR on your LAN.
I don't know if its the same setup, but that's not the same video I was watching. I'm referring to this video:

I see what you're saying, and that makes sense. But then why is there an option to connect via Dahua DDNS or Quick DDNS? That's what's throwing me off.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm, the VPN setup on the video you linked doesn't include a mobile option so I see your confusion. That is a VERY old video and the router firmware is probably old. His firmware is 1.0.2.64 and the current firmware is 1.0.9.12. Update (or make sure) your router firmware is up to date first before moving forward. Here's the link: R7000 — Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, you were right. I didn't need to enter any of the DDNS info to connect. I am now able to view remotely on my laptop (Verizon tethered) and on TinyCam on my Pixel 2 XL. I still cannot seem to get a live feed in gDMSS though. It's not timing out or giving me any sort of connection error. It just sits there thinking and never connects to the feeds. I double checked the VPN connection and made sure it was still working on TinyCam too. Not sure why gDMSS doesn't like it.

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hmm, the VPN setup on the video you linked doesn't include a mobile option so I see your confusion. That is a VERY old video and the router firmware is probably old. His firmware is 1.0.2.64 and the current firmware is 1.0.9.12. Update (or make sure) your router firmware is up to date first before moving forward. Here's the link: R7000 — Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Yeah, I figured the mobile VPN configuration wouldn't be that much different, and it wasn't for OpenVPN at least. Though I'm curious about the integrated VPN settings in Android Oreo that I just discovered on my phone. Wondering if I even needed a third party client... BTW, I upgraded my R7000's firmware tonight prior to setting up the DDNS and VPN.

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, you were right. I didn't need to enter any of the DDNS info to connect. I am now able to view remotely on my laptop (Verizon tethered) and on TinyCam on my Pixel 2 XL. I still cannot seem to get a live feed in gDMSS though. It's not timing out or giving me any sort of connection error. It just sits there thinking and never connects to the feeds. I double checked the VPN connection and made sure it was still working on TinyCam too. Not sure why gDMSS doesn't like it.
It seems reactivating my substream, with resulting bitrates about 1/4 of that of the main stream gets gDMSS working. Kinda sucks that tinycam can pretty much stream the main stream of all 4 of my cams perfectly with only a little intermittent choppiness, but gDMSS can't even connect to a single cam on main stream. If it wasn't for the advanced control and the apparent ability to get push notifications with gDMSS, I'd probably use tinycam exclusively. It's so much more polished and smooth.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good! I'm glad you got it working. What is your encoding method for your main stream and substream? I don't have any hands on experience with gDMSS but I think I've read that it doesn't work with certain encoding methods (i.e. H.256, H.254, etc.). Also, what is your upload speed?

Yeah, I figured the mobile VPN configuration wouldn't be that much different, and it wasn't for OpenVPN at least. Though I'm curious about the integrated VPN settings in Android Oreo that I just discovered on my phone. Wondering if I even needed a third party client... BTW, I upgraded my R7000's firmware tonight prior to setting up the DDNS and VPN.
Wait, so you had the Mobile OpenVPN button on your firmware like the video I linked or you downloaded OpenVPN on your computer on your LAN like the video you linked?
I believe the integrated VPN on Android is for your outgoing data routed through a VPN service provider, not through your personal server.

It seems reactivating my substream, with resulting bitrates about 1/4 of that of the main stream gets gDMSS working.
Again, what is your upload speed and encoding method? Are you sure TinyCam is streaming your main stream?

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good! I'm glad you got it working. What is your encoding method for your main stream and substream? I don't have any hands on experience with gDMSS but I think I've read that it doesn't work with certain encoding methods (i.e. H.256, H.254, etc.). Also, what is your upload speed?

Wait, so you had the Mobile OpenVPN button on your firmware like the video I linked or you downloaded OpenVPN on your computer on your LAN like the video you linked?
I believe the integrated VPN on Android is for your outgoing data routed through a VPN service provider, not through your personal server.

Again, what is your upload speed and encoding method? Are you sure TinyCam is streaming your main stream?
H.265 on both main and sub, so i think that rules out encoding being the problem. Upload speed is atrocious compared to download, something in the ballpark of 220-240D/8-15U usually. But again, tinycam seems to handle it just fine. And to jump ahead to your other question, tinycam definitely was getting main stream because i had substream off. i only turned it on to troubleshoot this issue.

To be honest, i didn't watch your video at all. I just watched enough to know it wasn't the video i watched lol. In my routers advanced setup tab, i had links to download the configuration files for Windows and Android (among others). I had to download OpenVPN from the Android app store, but the config files came from Netgear. The windows executable obviously came from Netgear too. I only briefly looked at the Android Oreo VPN settings, and it looked foreign to me, so that would make sense.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk