No "Live View" when outside local network

josey

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a home network setup. 2 Hikvision cameras (DS-2CD2042WD). No DVR. Cameras connected via POE ethernet hub. Connected to an ActionTec T3200M router/modem. iVMS-4200 installed on two different laptops (HPs; one running Windows 7, and the other Windows 10), and on iPhone 7. Everything is registered, configured, etc. Cameras have their own IP addresses on the network.

Everything works beautifully inside the network. That is, when the laptops or iPhone is connected to the home network (either via wi-fi or via local ethernet), I can use the iVMS-4200 app. "Live View", can communicate with the cameras, etc. Works great. Amazing image.

The problem is that iVMS-4200 "Live View" does not work when the laptop or iPhone is not connected to the home network. Example: if on my iPhone I disable wi-fi (i.e., I am going through my cell provider) suddenly "Live View" shows a "Connection failed" notice. Same happens if I am out of town, connect my laptop to the internet via some other network, then try to access camera via iVMS-4200 app.

I have checked everything I can think of, have tried to "port forward" the cameras, have set up a static IP address,have gone back to dynamic IP, have tried different modems, have tried to change firewall settings (even momentarily turning off firewall altogether); have un-installed and reinstalled everything (cameras, software), re-registered, re-set up, re-configured, and so on (including keeping things simple by only installing one camera, one iVMS app. one device, etc.). Same result every time. Cameras work beautifully, but only when I am "inside" the home network to which they are connected.

Obviously, this is frustrating. A home camera system is of limited use if it cannot be effectively accessed when I am away from home. I have two other Hikvision cameras I'd like to connect to the system. But that seems pointless unless I can solve this problem. It has now been a year or so, and so far I am none the better off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a home network setup. 2 Hikvision cameras (DS-2CD2042WD). No DVR. Cameras connected via POE ethernet hub. Connected to an ActionTec T3200M router/modem. iVMS-4200 installed on two different laptops (HPs; one running Windows 7, and the other Windows 10), and on iPhone 7. Everything is registered, configured, etc. Cameras have their own IP addresses on the network.

Everything works beautifully inside the network. That is, when the laptops or iPhone is connected to the home network (either via wi-fi or via local ethernet), I can use the iVMS-4200 app. "Live View", can communicate with the cameras, etc. Works great. Amazing image.

The problem is that iVMS-4200 "Live View" does not work when the laptop or iPhone is not connected to the home network. Example: if on my iPhone I disable wi-fi (i.e., I am going through my cell provider) suddenly "Live View" shows a "Connection failed" notice. Same happens if I am out of town, connect my laptop to the internet via some other network, then try to access camera via iVMS-4200 app.

I have checked everything I can think of, have tried to "port forward" the cameras, have set up a static IP address,have gone back to dynamic IP, have tried different modems, have tried to change firewall settings (even momentarily turning off firewall altogether); have un-installed and reinstalled everything (cameras, software), re-registered, re-set up, re-configured, and so on (including keeping things simple by only installing one camera, one iVMS app. one device, etc.). Same result every time. Cameras work beautifully, but only when I am "inside" the home network to which they are connected.

Obviously, this is frustrating. A home camera system is of limited use if it cannot be effectively accessed when I am away from home. I have two other Hikvision cameras I'd like to connect to the system. But that seems pointless unless I can solve this problem. It has now been a year or so, and so far I am none the better off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
stop. you dont know what you are doing. You need to hire someone to setup a vpn for you.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Set up VPN as Fenderman says. By using VPN you will essentially be directly connected to your router and wil get your live feeds.

Look at this thread —> VPN Primer for Noobs