No longer able to write to network share (worked at first)

FloridaMan

n3wb
Reaction score
I am no longer able to write to a network share. I am running Blue Iris as a service under a local user account. I have a Samba share on a Raspberry Pi that is sharing a USB external hard drive. I can connect to the share. The BI service user account and the Samba share have the same username and password. I can sign into the blue iris w10 Pro machine as the account I created for the service and connect to the share using \\ip_address\share_name and read and write files without having to use the password as it matches the user account's. When I first configured this, Blue Iris wrote three video files to the share and now it no longer writes to the share. I get a "Disk not ready" in the log file, but no additional details. I have been unable to further diagnose what's happening with the error as everything I try to do to connect to the share allows me to see and write to it.

I've tried rebooting the raspberry pi and restarting the BI service with no luck. I first thought that perhaps the drive had gone to sleep, but that doesn't seem to be the case either.

On an unrelated note, I have also solved how to securely connect cameras across sites to blue iris over ssh and provide an alternative much more secure way to connect to the BI UI from a smart phone or remote computer over SSH using public/private keys as opposed to just a username/password. I feel this may be a decent alternative to Stunnel for those of us who want to be absolutely certain a 3rd party can't intercept or guess password. I have dd-wrt to limit my Chinese cameras to only be accessibly by the BI instance and not be able to reach outside of the network and share video with 3rd parties or "cloud" providers. If there isn't already a "how-to" on this, I'd be more than happy to put one together.

FloridaMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like I live up to my handle. Somehow somewhere the service startup got reset to "LocalSystem" I suspect while going through settings that I noticed the "Run as service" was unchecked and I checked it which reset the service. As it turns out, it looks like I have to set the user account that runs the service as an administrator as well, but now drive free space for local drives isn't properly reported in the info pane; I don't see the "C" drive that has the database and the "D" drive for the files has a question mark (?) above the storage usage.