No signal to Dahua camera

Reaction score
I have an EmpireTech IPC-T5442T-ZE Dahua camera that has been working fine for months. A few days ago it started showing that there is no signal to it with no error code. The camera is connected to a RJ45 splitter/combiner and the other camera connected to the splitter is working fine. I took down the camera and connected it directly to my switch and it worked fine. I tried connecting a spare camera to to the splitter and it does not get a signal but works fine if I connect it directly to my switch. I tried connecting the Dahua camera back to the splitter and disconnecting the other camera from the splitter to see if that had any impact and it did not. I tried a new splitter and that didn't help. I'm out of ideas on things to try. It is stumping me that the other camera on the splitter (also a EmpireTech IPC-T5442T-ZE ) works fine but the other camera on the splitter does not. Any ideas? Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Sounds like one side of your splitter failed.
I replaced the splitter at the cameras and the one at the switch and it didn’t help. I was sure replacing the splitters would fix the issue and when it didn’t, I threw up my hands. Thanks for the suggestion.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I replaced the splitter at the cameras and the one at the switch and it didn’t help. I was sure replacing the splitters would fix the issue and when it didn’t, I threw up my hands. Thanks for the suggestion.
Is the splitter/combiner something like this ? ==>> IPCamPower POE Combiner Splitter Adapter, Run 2 IP Cameras on 1 Cable, Works on All POE Switches, POE NVR and POE Cameras, Mode A and B POE Compatible

Do you have a long, good patch cable you can run from indoor to outdoor to temporarily bypass the existing cable? I'm thinking one or more of the conductors in it has an issue and won't support the mode the cam needs for power. Also, corrosion in the pigtail of the cam and/or the splitter could cause problems. Did you use dielectric grease on those outside male-to-female RJ-45 connections?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is the splitter/combiner something like this ? ==>> IPCamPower POE Combiner Splitter Adapter, Run 2 IP Cameras on 1 Cable, Works on All POE Switches, POE NVR and POE Cameras, Mode A and B POE Compatible

Do you have a long, good patch cable you can run from indoor to outdoor to temporarily bypass the existing cable? I'm thinking one or more of the conductors in it has an issue and won't support the mode the cam needs for power. Also, corrosion in the pigtail of the cam and/or the splitter could cause problems. Did you use dielectric grease on those outside male-to-female RJ-45 connections?
Yes, this is a link to my splitter:. I don't have a patch cable that long but could get one. I would have to go up a wall to my attic, go all the way across the attic and then out to the outside of my house and down a story. It's the whole reason I used a splitter in the first place. I knew this was a possibility but wanted to exhaust all other possible fixes first. I appreciate the suggestion.

Reaction score
Yes, this is a link to my splitter:. I don't have a patch cable that long but could get one. I would have to go up a wall to my attic, go all the way across the attic and then out to the outside of my house and down a story. It's the whole reason I used a splitter in the first place. I knew this was a possibility but wanted to exhaust all other possible fixes first. I appreciate the suggestion.
Also, all the connections are in a water proof junction box () so I don't think corrosion is the issue. I also used dielectric grease and wrapped the connection with electrical tape.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would suspect the problem to be the fixed cable between the 2 splitter ends. You could reverse the splitter wires at the switch to comfirm that the switch is not the problem.