No Uplink Port on POE Switch? Huh?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The 328' is from the switch to the camera, and in reality longer runs will work to varying degrees. When I'm stumped like that it's time to bring the camera in and start isolating the problem with a short patch cable. Or, sub a different camera at the far end of the long cable. You need to have good test equipment that most of us don't have, or be able to swap components with spares. Otherwise you're just shooting in the dark.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
328 feet is the maximum length, based on 802.3 standards, that any single cable can be. That means the maximum length between any two devices be it camera to switch, switch to switch or switch to router.

In practice that can be stretched to maybe 400 feet but be aware that packet loss will start occurring when "stretching the spec". At 10Mb/ps it's not bad at all, but at 100Mb/ps and higher it can get to the point of making things kind of useless.

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The 328' is from the switch to the camera, and in reality longer runs will work to varying degrees. When I'm stumped like that it's time to bring the camera in and start isolating the problem with a short patch cable. Or, sub a different camera at the far end of the long cable. You need to have good test equipment that most of us don't have, or be able to swap components with spares. Otherwise you're just shooting in the dark.
The thing is, the NVR, is in one building, the POE switch and cameras plugged into the POE switch are in another building with a busy driveway and parking lot in between both buildings so pulling cameras and POE switch to bench test would be a quite a feat. Plus it just broke 100 degrees here in Phx so I'm trying to stay out of attics, lol. Yes, good text equipment is a luxury, my cheap test equipment (links below) has me pulling my hair out but I'm not willing to spend big bucks on good test equipment for one time use.

I may go as far and installing a large weatherproof box outside closer to the NVR and put the POE switch there. I already have the other 4 camera cables that are plugged directly into the NVR plus the data cable from the POE switch running in 1" PVC pipe so intercepting the POE switch data cable would not be a problem but I would have to extend the camera cables that are plugged into the POE switch now to the new location. Wait, what? Omg, what a hassle that would be, this entire 16 camera install has become a cluster F*#K. The other 12 cameras plugged directly into the NVR work perfectly and look great, it's the 4 plugged into the POE switch that has basically halted progress, I will figure it all out though.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.