NoIP way slower than direct IP?

Reaction score
*** Solution found, see post marked solution ****

I am just getting into setting up cameras for my home.

I am using a Foscam camera.

I am using an ASUS router.

When I access it via a web browser using the static IP address (192.168.1.201:1234, not the real address and port, but close enough for discussion) the video speed is pretty quick.

When I access it via the same browser using the NoIP address I set up (aaa.ddns.net) the video is as slow as mud, even though I am on the same network.

I've also noticed that if I access the camera via my current external IP address (for example: 96.25.30.22:1234, again not my real address) it is also slow.

Is this normal, or am I missing something? I can't seem to find any reference to this by searching.

I believe I have everything setup correctly, but maybe not.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The NoIP address is just a shortcut for your external (public) IP address, so in all likelihood it makes no difference if you use the external IP or the NoIP address.

When you use the NoIP (or external) address, it sounds like the connection is somehow being routed through the internet. What device are you connecting from? Does it have a cellular connection? Maybe it tried to connect via WiFi and then failed and fell back to the cellular connection? Maybe you are using a web browser that proxies data through a 3rd party server? I think Amazon fire devices do this in their default browser, but several 3rd party mobile browsers certainly do.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
To clarify, in an ideal setup you should not be seeing any slowdown by using the external IP address (or the NoIP address) from within your internal network. Most recent routers should be able to identify outgoing connections to their own IP address like this, and forward the traffic internally which is usually very fast, second only to making a direct connection to the local static IP address. My router does this just fine, but it is a top of the line Asus RT-AC68U with custom firmware on it and nothing I do makes it break a sweat.

Reaction score
The router is an RT-AC53U.

At least this gives me a start, knowing the lack of speed isn't normal.

I am connected directly to the router wirelessly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I accessed it externally (about 30 miles from house) using the NoIp address. It works perfectly. No lags whatsoever.

This has got to be some kind of configuration error inside my home network. But what?

Reaction score
*** Solution ***

Found the fix.

I was a setting on the ASUS router.

Traffic Manager-->Enable Smart QoS-->On

It was off by default. I turned it on, set my upload and download bandwidth speeds, and clicked apply.

Speed in house is just as fast as it was remotely.