Noisy NVR

Excalibur

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
New NVR4208 with almost new 2TB HDD. Rather noisy.

So it has 2 little fans but OK am comparing to old generic fanless NVR (RIP) although HDD is same. Old one was a lot more stealth.

What can I do to reduce noise?

I recall rubber mounting fans in a PC many years ago and it made a useful difference. Another time I discovered bigger diameter fans were quieter.
What if I glued a patch of rubber sheet to the tin case?
I suppose it could be boxed but I want it to stay cool too.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
New NVR4208 with almost new 2TB HDD. Rather noisy.

So it has 2 little fans but OK am comparing to old generic fanless NVR (RIP) although HDD is same. Old one was a lot more stealth.

What can I do to reduce noise?

I recall rubber mounting fans in a PC many years ago and it made a useful difference. Another time I discovered bigger diameter fans were quieter.
What if I glued a patch of rubber sheet to the tin case?
I suppose it could be boxed but I want it to stay cool too.
Noctua Fans, Amazon. or direct site --->

Excalibur

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the great thoughts.

Am looking at a number of ideas, thanks to TonyR Google search.

Installed a DB meter on my smartphone. Holding it to the rear of the NVR shows 50 -55db, more if I move toward the PSU fan... Anyway a good reference to test possible improvements.

A Noctua fan looks like a great fix. Cheapest on Ebay about $36 landed and about $21 from Aliexpress landed.

I recall noise reduction on a PC some years ago, a setting in bios had fans spinning to suit temperature. Worked great in winter but in mid summer full speed was best. Roll clock forward and a hand-me-down PC came my way. Wow, what a nice reduction in noise. That's technology for you. Yet another time I ran some 12v fans on 5v. A PC PSU has 5v supply so it was easy.

Studying....

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
The noise comes from the power supply fan. You can replace just that one with a noctua and seriously reduce noise. The smaller side fan isn't worth noodling with imo. That's not really where the bulk of the noise comes from.