NonPTZ 20x Zoom

Frankydp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Was hoping someone could suggest a solution for a 30x zoom non-PTZ camera.

I have a feeling my best bet is going to just be a box cam, but I am not savvy on lense or housing options with regards to brands and what not.

Looking for near identification resolution at 300m with starlight quality nighttime functionality, there is overhead light at the focal point.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Andy, He was asking to "NON"- PTZ. I think there is no such thing. the only solution being a long changeable lens. It will be really hard to line up anything longer than 20 mm or so (less than 5 deg FOV).

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think your terminology is wrong, and perhaps that is making it extra hard to find a suitable camera model. 20x refers to a zoom range the lens can go through. You are instead looking for a fixed lens with a very long focal length. So try to get a feel for the focal length you will need, and then search for a camera that has one. Or find a lens with the right length, and then find a camera that 'fits' it.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looking around a tiny bit, it does seem like you are going to end up with a PTZ camera, as they seem to have much longer focal lengths than the lenses for fixed cameras I am seeing. For instance a 50mm seems to be about the most I see on a fixed camera, whereas the PTZs linked above go to 180mm (2.1 degrees horizontal field of view)

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here's a Dahua 6AE240VNI at max zoom 40x, which the spec sheet shows as 180mm (1.7degrees horizontal field of view). The No Smoking sign is about 323m from the camera.

Attachments

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Andy, He was asking to "NON"- PTZ. I think there is no such thing. the only solution being a long changeable lens. It will be really hard to line up anything longer than 20 mm or so (less than 5 deg FOV).
aha, seems no such fixed lens camera can do such long distance.