Noob from Alaska

c-bolt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've been lurking for a while and reading, but i still have a few questions. There is so much information here, Thanks to all that have contributed to make this place such a resource.

After reading a bunch, I really only have a couple questions left.

1: Is an off brand PC so bad? The deal I found on Ebay seems pretty fair with free shipping to Alaska (Rarity). I see many recommendations about the Elitedesks and Optiplex computers, but I'm not sure why they would be better than an equivalent home build or smaller shop build? Is it because of the warranty they might still have?

2: I assume once I'm setup with BI through the Lorex LVH5100 DVR, I'll still be able to add IP cameras to the system using an Ethernet switch.

3: I found this on ebay, it seems like a fair deal considering the free shipping. Daktech ASUStek INTEL CORE I5-6400 2.70GHZ 1TB 8GB RAM Win 10 Pro Desktop | eBay
I'm currently recording 4 x 8mp x 7 fps, so according to the wiki, this should be plenty. It doesn't leave a bunch of room for more cameras, but the motherboard can handle an i7-7700 if I need to upgrade in the future. It does have DDR4 ram already.

I've posted a couple times in the forums, but no help yet. I'm hoping an introduction will help get the ball rolling.

Joe

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

c-bolt

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I found a couple deals, a bit more expensive, but not deal breakers. Its hard to find sellers that ship to Alaska for a reasonable charge.

Joe