Noob help please! - Can't find ip cameras???

Reaction score
Hello All,

I received a few different model ip cameras yesterday from Andy EMPIRETECANDY and I just cannot set them up in ConfigTool or via 192.168.1.108.

I have followed every guide / wiki / thread and nothing is working. Can I please request the vast knowledge of the forum to assist me.

I suspect the issue is subnet related but I am obviously not configuring it correctly.

My set-up is as follows;

Internet modem connection - Asus ZenWifi CT8 router - TP-Link TL-SG1016D switch. Both camera and laptop are connected directly to switch via ethernet cables (multiple different cables tried to eliminate this as the issue).

Led for laptop connected port on switch lights up and receives ip address viewable in router web interface. Led for camera connected port on switch does not light up and no ip address. (I have tried 4 different physical cameras with the same result)

My router ip address is 192.168.50.1 so I see this is not the same as the default 192.168.1.x. I have followed guides online to change my ip assignment but I might not be doing this correctly?

Is this the most likely issue?
Can someone please talk me through how to do this correctly?
Any other ideas?

Thanks all in advance!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah sounds like your home LAN is different than the IP of the camera.

The default IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.108, which may or may not be the IP address range of your system.

Unhook a computer or laptop from the internet and go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

1643659199778.png

Then power up your camera and wait a few minutes.

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER (needs to be Explorer and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab) and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it your country and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Then reverse the process to put your computer back on your network IP address range.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.

Reaction score
Thanks so much wittaj!

Just a few clarifications please,

So I've fully disconnected the laptop from the internet (turn off wifi and no ethernet connection) changed ip address as shown in images.

When you say power up the camera, where am I connecting the camera to? Switch or directly via ethernet to laptop?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to power it up with either a POE switch or POE injector. The computer will not provide power to it.

Reaction score
I've plugged both the laptop and camera to the switch, with nothing else connected. (Ethernet connection from router to switch disconnected)

When typing 192.168.1.108 into Internet Explorer, I get "You're not connected to a network" and a pop up saying Unable to open the search page.

Attachments

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My search on your switch come up with this.
Does TL sg1016d have PoE?
You can't control access to individual ports by MAC address or time, you can't limit throughput to manually control speeds and as we've discussed, you can't power anything as there's no PoE.

If you have a 12v wall wart handy you can provide the needed power to the camera by plugging it into the pigtail.

Reaction score
Hallelujah! That was the issue Broachoski! I plugged in a power cable and it powered on the switch led port and is showing the login page.

Does this mean I cannot power the cameras via this switch? As I bought it solely for this purpose what sould I look for when buying a replacement?

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.