noob logistics questions

sdipcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to security cameras. I saw the wiki and the cliff notes, that answered a lot of questions. I may have missed somethings, so excuse if I ask easy questions.

I'm looking to secure my home's perimiter. I have a split level home and an attic only on 1/2 of the house. Other half has vaulted ceilings. The house has eaves with soffit vents. The attic floor is 20+ feet of the ground. I don't have ethernet drops. I want to avoid the cameras being to obvious as it wouldn't go with the neighborhood vibe, but not sure that's possible. And I'd like to start with 1 or two cameras and add on as needed, so let me know which of these areas would be easiest to tackle. I'm not worried about budget at this point as I'm stuck on where/how to mount the cameras:

First, the 1/2 of the house without attic has two floodlights at 20 ft+ as well. Can I put wifi cameras there? And somehow connect them to the power from the floodlights? Maybe run power from the floodlight junction box inside the eaves and fish them out through soffit vents? Not sure if eaves are hollow or what the architecture is like. It does have round soffit vents every ft or two.

Second, my front door is like 30+ feet from the curb. I'd like to get license plates. It has an eave with a can light. This is on a slab so I cant get ethernet under. And it has a floor above it so I cant get ethernet from above. So I think I have to give up on license plates and just get something to record delivery drivers? Is there anyway to use the power from the can light? Perhaps I can check if the eaves there is hollow as well and try to see if the junction box is around up there. Or is there an easier way? I was looking for high hats with USB ports as I think some wifi cameras are usb powered?

Last edited: