Noob needing some kind advice!

Reaction score
Hi, we're currently renovating our house in the UK and the electrician has laid cat 6 cable for a suitable POE CCTV system. I'm currently not sure what to buy within a (restricted) budget! I've looked on Amazon and seen the Annke CCTV systems but have been warned off them as adding/replacing cameras can be difficult.
So I'm here for some advice;

1) Which POE cameras to buy? (I need 5)
2) Do I buy an NVR or POE switch connected to an NVR?
3) If so which NVR or POE switch to buy?
4) If not an NVR I'm OK using a spare desktop
5) Which software to use for recording and viewing?
6) Also require the camera view to be able to seen on smartphone/tablet

7) If I do buy an annke or saance POE system from Amazon does anyone know which other cameras would be compatible with these systems? It's just that these look easy to setup, however as I need 5 cameras I could buy an 8 channel system with 4 cameras (fairly inexpensive) and throw in a compatible camera. It's very difficult to buy additional single cameras from them.

I have read through the forum and there's tonnes of advice but I'm a bit confused as I want something easy to use, not too expensive and easy to maintain/replace parts if required. As far as cameras go, something with 1080p as I'm guessing there's not much of a price difference going 720p.

I'm OK with networking and DDNS etc...

If anyone can help, the advice will be greatly appreciated and acted upon!

thanks loads

James

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum..there are many threads that discuss cameras, nvr, and software in detail.
Stay far away from annke or sance, they are garbage and post fake reviews on amazon.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi, we're currently renovating our house in the UK and the electrician has laid cat 6 cable for a suitable POE CCTV system. I'm currently not sure what to buy within a (restricted) budget! I've looked on Amazon and seen the Annke CCTV systems but have been warned off them as adding/replacing cameras can be difficult.
So I'm here for some advice;

1) Which POE cameras to buy? (I need 5) Depending on where you are trying to capture… Outside I’d go for Dahua Starlight 2mp range. Indoors Dahua or Hikvision
2) Do I buy an NVR or POE switch connected to an NVR? Again personal choice… Nayr (on this forum) for example likes the NVR > POE Switch > IP Cameras others may go for NVR > IP Cameras
3) If so which NVR or POE switch to buy? I would always go for Dahua or Hikvision NVR and match cameras to the same manufactures of NVR (Even though Onvif compatible cameras will work on each other’s NVR, but without all the features.) POE switch top of the range Ubiquiti / Cisco or Midrange Netgear, D-Link all depends on your budget.
4) If not an NVR I'm OK using a spare desktop Yes you could use a desktop. Make sure it’s i5 or above and has low wattage PSU as it will be running 24/7
5) Which software to use for recording and viewing? Blueiris ;) there are others...
6) Also require the camera view to be able to seen on smartphone/tablet Blueiris has one of the best apps for this (access it via your own VPN) don’t port forward or UPNP cameras or NVR!!

7) If I do buy an annke or saance POE system from Amazon does anyone know which other cameras would be compatible with these systems? It's just that these look easy to setup, however as I need 5 cameras I could buy an 8 channel system with 4 cameras (fairly inexpensive) and throw in a compatible camera. It's very difficult to buy additional single cameras from them.

I have read through the forum and there's tonnes of advice but I'm a bit confused as I want something easy to use, not too expensive and easy to maintain/replace parts if required. As far as cameras go, something with 1080p as I'm guessing there's not much of a price difference going 720p.

I'm OK with networking and DDNS etc...

If anyone can help, the advice will be greatly appreciated and acted upon!

thanks loads

James