Noob with retail shops - which cams??

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I hadn't paid attention to your name and state. I recall at the vape shop I went to here in NoVA not long ago they scanned the "bar code" (whatever the proper name for that style) on the back of my VA driver's license. That seemed fairly quick and easy.

Reaction score
I hadn't paid attention to your name and state. I recall at the vape shop I went to here in NoVA not long ago they scanned the "bar code" (whatever the proper name for that style) on the back of my VA driver's license. That seemed fairly quick and easy.
I’m guessing that was Avail. I know it annoys people, which is why I wanted to make it as transparent as possible. If I end up going with an ID scanner, I will go with one that is as quick as possible. They sure are expensive, though!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep, at Avail and, yep, annoying to have give up ID just to buy some damn coils that I needed. What do the readers cost? Just curious.

It's going to be hard to make it very transparent I think. You're going to have to ask them to hand it over anyway which is the biggest thing.

Reaction score
Yep, at Avail and, yep, annoying to have give up ID just to buy some damn coils that I needed. What do the readers cost? Just curious.

It's going to be hard to make it very transparent I think. You're going to have to ask them to hand it over anyway which is the biggest thing.
$900 to $5000+

And yeah, I have to think about all of this a lot. People absolutely love our shops, especially our customer service, so I definitely don’t want to sour their experience because of a few shoplifters. It’s a fine line.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
$900 to $5000+

And yeah, I have to think about all of this a lot. People absolutely love our shops, especially our customer service, so I definitely don’t want to sour their experience because of a few shoplifters. It’s a fine line.
How much is that compared to your losses? What would the payback time be?
Are you loosing enough it would pay to have someone man the cameras?

Reaction score
How much is that compared to your losses? What would the payback time be?
Are you loosing enough it would pay to have someone man the cameras?
Our losses are pretty minimal compared to that cost, so it would take a long time to pay back. Definitely not worth paying someone to monitor a camera.

It’s more of the principle, for me, though. I hate to have my product stolen.

We were burglarized at night not too long ago, so I’m beefing up my cameras and security in general.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe just an inexpensive digital camera setup? That would easily give you the resolution and close-focus you need and can be controlled remotely via computer, probably integrated into POS, etc.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Our losses are pretty minimal compared to that cost, so it would take a long time to pay back. Definitely not worth paying someone to monitor a camera.

It’s more of the principle, for me, though. I hate to have my product stolen.

We were burglarized at night not too long ago, so I’m beefing up my cameras and security in general.
Your going to have some loss, if these packages are small, it will be really hard to stop all of it.
Keep close track on inventory, and use the lose on your taxes.

Set cameras up in such a way that the clerk on duty can see what is occuring in the store easily.
Place a large monitor so the customers know they are watched.
Some liquor stores in this area use that method.
It's gonna take eyeballs to prevent one way or another.