Normal, Day, Night Profiles for Dahua Cameras

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, since I have a solution that works quite well for me, although it doesn't seem to meet your standards, I just though you had a magical solution for it.

cctv-dave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
:idk:

You are taking a very silly position and for some odd reason taking a personal one too.

You wrote a comment about technology. No where in your post does it say "works well for me" or indicates it's your solution - you were offering your opinion on how to achieve an generalised outcome.
To which I replied with a different opinion and position on Dahua/Hikvision.
After all this place is for discussion right ?

Hey, if it works for you that's great.
But many other people from whom I've heard complaints from think it should be inside of the camera as a basic feature.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I just about took it that way too LOL.

As @sebastiantombs said, the residential user is not the target audience for Dahua.

As such, these cameras are geared towards a different application. We just are able to get our hands on them and dial them in to our settings, which means a compromise for a better quality image. That is why you don't see these cameras being sold at Best Buy. They sell gear catered to the plug and play residential audience, but then motion is a blur at night.

They are geared towards retail, business, warehouses, etc. with different lighting conditions than at a home.

A business puts one of these cameras up outside and they probably have enough parking lot light that this camera works very well for them with one general profile and simply switching from color to B/W.

The residential application is much different - zero to very little light. As such the day/night profiles are dialed in differently.

I think if this were a problem with Dahua's customer base, they would make changes. But it obviously works for the intended market they cater to.

I agree with you that it would be nice if these cameras had some of that functionality, but until they decide to get into the consumer market and start placing these in the big box stores, they apparently do not see the need from their customer base.

cctv-dave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry, let's just get our terms on the same page.
Residential user as in end user sure that's not the target.
Residential market installer however is the target market.

They are both very much going after the residential (vertical) market. Solutions for them are plastered over both their websites.
They have product specifically designed for residential which have no place in commercial segments.

They dont go after residential end users*, but they certainly go after residential installers.

* Except of course for IMOU and Hik's equivalent.

But to say residential installation is different from commercial because of lighting that's making a lot of assumptions.
Not all commercial spaces are lit so to save money & there is a trend for people to add architectural lighting to homes now.
Could say it's the opposite...

See here in the UK we have publically funded street lighting so most homes being close to the kerb will certainly have the front of house well lit.
But commercial spaces may not have the same lighting because they are on private estates and wont pay for it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
And I'm still waiting for you to name a camera with equivalent capabilities, day and night, as Dahua, meets your criteria and is in a similar price point range. The market doesn't really matter much. Price and performance are the keys. If there's a way around the weak points, like day/night settings, it doesn't matter what camera is used as long as it can perform at the price.

cctv-dave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was supposed to get that demand from your otherwise facetious reply ?

TBH I'm not interested in whatever you're barking at.
I pointed out the flaws in the Dahua cams, I didn't say they (generalism) are no good, I said they could be better.

If you want to disagree because they suit your needs then fine, go ahead, just dont get all butt hurt about a differing opinion as you've done.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
No, I'm just curious if you have a magic solution that most are not aware of. You made a number of statements about how easy it is to implement IR control and switchover but haven't pointed to an example of a successful one anywhere that I've seen. I, too, would love to see that in every decent camera but it would seem there is a reason it is not happening from any of the manufacturers.

cctv-dave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, we might be getting somewhere then :)

Figuring out sunrise/sunset by your location has been around for a good while.

Converting that pseudo code to actual code isn't too difficult.
Libraries and examples are plentiful on the internet for most programming languages these days too.

Now such features have existed in IP cams or DVR's (controlling PTZ's ICR) in the past, but I dont know what the current situation on a by vendor case without going looking.
I note Blueiris does it, so where did they get the idea from ??

But you have to think about it, or have had the problem in order to want it.
I did some quick googling on long/lat and IPC and found interesting things. One vendor is specifically asking for those details so they can plot the camera location on google maps via the NVR - nice feature, have suggested that in the past.
That same vendor doesn't realise the usefulness of that in ICR control - maybe they think auto switch is enough, maybe they didn't know such a calculation was possible ? Who knows.
For some reason they added the map support which few others do. based on customer request or someone thought "hey why dont we..." ?

What I can tell you is that every vendor works differently. So ideas or suggest for features get prioritized differently.
How people work together is also quite different.

I've worked for companies where you can freely access the source code and than others where people can only see a small section of it for their team is focused on optics but another team will see the code behind onvif for example.
They are not allowed to swap notes, which often does more harm than good.
Having 20,000 engineers is great but if none of them are ever allowed to think outside the box you get things that happen because they happen.

The old story of the monkeys and bananas is very true in manufacturing and software development.
For try to get small changes made when everyone else is brainwashed to think it's good enough can be quite hard.
Especially in a large company which isn't exactly letting people under the hood.

Then of course we've taken steps backwards. CCTV is no longer about quality, it's a price game, a race to the bottom. Dominated by 2 companies and many former good innovative companies are mere shells or no longer exist.
And remember those two companies came into being by copying (ripping off) the bare minimum and sell for a low price.
So developing bespoke features for a client wanting to buy 100 IPC just isn't going to happen when they are costing $100 each. back when they were $1000 each you might well have got your special feature implemented.
Sure customization takes place but no one has asked for this yet with significant value prop to make today's leading vendors do it.

There are hundreds of ideas which never make it into the product.
A lot depends from where within a company the idea comes from - I've recycled ideas through upper management and had a completely different response.
And I've seen great ideas get turned into terrible ones by people who didn't understand them.
Layers of people getting in the way from making it happen:

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
To switch to Dahua Day or Night Profile settings automatically when the camera auto-detects the change between day and night light conditions, try this.

In newer firmware that does not require a plug-in, use Web UI to set Profile Management to Day/Night.
For older firmware requiring a plug-in, the following command should do the same thing.
If you ever change any profile settings with the Web UI, that will disable it and you have to use the URL again.