Not as sensitive as I hoped

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ANTH040, what exactly have you settled on?

Also the cam is too high to get a good image of a face which is better for identifying perpetrators, you may consider lowering the height at some point in the future.

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ANTH040, what exactly have you settled on?

Also the cam is too high to get a good image of a face which is better for identifying perpetrators, you may consider lowering the height at some point in the future.
If that's any lower it will get ripped off the wall or smashed it's not possible.

It's far to close proximity to my neighbor it's about 8 foot up.

And I have around 7 foot to play with wide.

Semi-detached house very close proximity it's not that easy.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was asking what mm lens you've settled on ANTH040?

And trust me, with a hood up or a hat it will be pretty useless in gaining any useful evidence for a conviction as the perpetrators face would be totally obscured. And with the state of the police in the UK nothing would be done then, they like things to be nice and easy.

But I understand about the physical damage aspect, as the base is plastic and the front of the cam seems extremely vulnerable to physical attack. Obviously a designer came up with the product design, not an engineer.

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was asking what mm lens you've settled on ANTH040?

And trust me, with a hood up or a hat it will be pretty useless in gaining any useful evidence for a conviction as the perpetrators face would be totally obscured. And with the state of the police in the UK nothing would be done then, they like things to be nice and easy.

But I understand about the physical damage aspect, as the base is plastic and the front of the cam seems extremely vulnerable to physical attack. Obviously a designer came up with the product design, not an engineer.
2.8 mm don't get me wrong I have 4 cameras they dodged everyone to get to that door they are not stupid, but if they try that door again at Least the intrusion alarm will go off and alert me.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been wondering about the use of high intensity strobe lights and rather loud music such as ride of the valkyries attached to a PIR system and a manual switch as well ANTH040, I think that it may work quite well as a deterrent as well as give you some wonderful footage for YouTube if you arrange the garden like the Krypton Factor assault course.

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another one trying his look, flashing a light in my car last night! Caught on the worst camera I have with very little chance of a face recognition although he looked directly in the camera! Guess what I need to upgrade now.

I am pretty sure that its a 2.8 lens on that camera running a 1920 x 1080 aspect ratio if I get a 3.6 will I loose a lot where I can not see both cars? the cars are around 18 foot away from the camera position.
View attachment Front.20200101_021929_1.mp4

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There's always the Counter Strike sound sample of an AWP being fired with reload, that's another good one to use.

But trying to emulate a Chemical Brothers or Daft Punk gig is probably more my style. Lasers, Strobes and a wall of sound just ticks so many boxes you just have to use it.

And I'm getting good coverage with the Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE 3.6mm cameras ANTH040, the 1.6 focal length gives a pretty decent angle. Even more than the specs state.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been wondering about the use of high intensity strobe lights and rather loud music such as ride of the valkyries attached to a PIR system and a manual switch as well ANTH040, I think that it may work quite well as a deterrent as well as give you some wonderful footage for YouTube if you arrange the garden like the Krypton Factor assault course.
I like @fenderman choice.

Attachments

Last edited:

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
looney2ns, the say hello to my little friend bit from Scarface could be edited for another fun soundtrack.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if I get a 3.6 will I loose a lot where I can not see both cars?
Use the IPVM Camera Calculator V3 tool for this. It'll let you put just about any model camera on a Google Maps image of your house which shows you the field of view as well as the PPF value. The recommend PPF value to ID someone you don't know is 100+.

Using that calculator with the new 4MP 5442 turret model (distance set to 18FT):
2.8mm: the view would be 54.0 ft wide, PPF would be 49.4
3.6mm: the view would be 35.4 ft wide, PPF would be 76.0
6.0mm: the view would be 19.1 ft wide, PPF would be 140.4

The calculator tool will bring up a Google Maps image of your house if you type in your address, let you position the camera, and then show you how wide the video of view will be at any distance. Definitely takes a lot of the guess work out.

Here's how a 3.6mm 5442's field-of-view would look on my driveway at 18ft.

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 8.59.47 AM.png

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I have been testing that and some of the cameras I have been testing including this one I have just bought was not on IPC-T5241H-AS-PV or I cant find it to test. Its a good tool I have sent off a request maybe they will add it.