Not Getting Continuous Recorded Events

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using BI 5 with a Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z and as my video shows I'm not getting a continuous recorded event.... my event starts, skips, and start again.

Could someone could take a look at my settings and see what I need to change? Thanks!

Mike

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are recording WHEN TRIGGERED which means it will only record when triggered.

You need to change to CONTINUOUS that will record mainstream 24/7 or CONTINUOUS + TRIGGERED to record 24/7 substream but switch to mainstream when triggered.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok guess I've always had it set to When Triggered. It does sound like it would use a lot of computer resources on CONTINUOUS though I'm not happy the way it works now.

So which do you recommend CONTINUOUS or CONTINUOUS + TRIGGERED?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The use of computer resources is when it is analyzing motion.

If it is just simply recording, it is minimal resources, as long as you are taking advantage of the substreams per the optimzation wiki.

Continuous will record 24/7 mainstream, so that will cut into your storage retention quite a bit.

Continuous+ triggered will record substream until motion and mainstream during motion, so unless it is nonstop triggers, you will get 24/7 recording without as much of an impact to storage compared to 24/7 mainstream.

Most here do Cont+Triggered

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks I'll try CONTINUOUS + TRIGGERED I had just been looking over the wiki Sub Stream Guide.

When I select Default on Sub my Main Default settings disappear the guide seems to show both areas to the right filled in?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
By default the substream is off.

So do the find/inspect to pull them again and then do the drop down arrow under sub and select the substream and not default.

You also need to have the substream enabled in the camera GUI.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks that worked you educated me today!

I don't think it's my imagination but after enabling the sub stream the live feeds are not as sharp and the camera are not as proportioned is this the new normal?

What do you think of the Main & Sub Stream settings on my camera I tried to follow the guides?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So what this does is substreams allows the heavy CPU processing to occur on the substream.

Part of the heavy process is not showing mainstream in multi camera view. It will show substream so it will be not as sharp and many of the substream resolutions are different ratio than the mainstream.

You may have to go in and adjust your motion settings because of this, so take a look at that.

But when you solo a camera, it will switch to mainstream.

For most after a day or two, we get used to the slightly lower resolution of multi-camera view, especially for the savings it provides. By the way, NVRs do the same thing.

Your substream settings look ok. You could bump bitrate to 2048 and that would help the sharpness some in multi-cam view.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think I'd have a clue on adjusting motion settings since I didn't even have a Sub Stream setup. Lol!

Ok I'll change the Sub Stream bitrate to 2048... thanks!

Edit:
So it'll only let me go up to 1792?

CrazyAsYou

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My personal setup is sub-streams for motion/AI and live multicam view but for recording I'm CONTINUOUS (24/7 main-stream) using direct to disk there is little system resource usage and as 3.5" SATA disks are so cheap now for many TeraBytes I don't really care about the disk saving of sub vs main stream, it also means that should something not be part of a trigger event I still have the high-quality main stream recorded.